Chapter 3 - Rafa Steps It Up

Rafa lay on his sleeping mat, gazing up at the room's ceiling while his fingers effortlessly juggled a ping-pong ball. His thoughts flowed freely.

"It's been almost 3 years since I left the guys behind," he murmured to himself, his eyes shifting to the empty bed beside him. "At least I'm sure they're better off than I am. It's not like I'm complaining or anything; life in the earth city of Ganban is amazing. Everything here is well solid."

A faint laugh escaped his lips as he recalled his experiences. "The Bojutsu training has been great, and I've met a lot of new people at the academy. There's even a guy here who kinda reminds me of Michio."

With newfound determination, Rafa got up from his mat, rolled it up, and slid it under the bed. His attention turned to a nearby bookshelf, where a picture of himself, Michio, and Nana stood. He smiled warmly as he picked it up.

"It doesn't mean I don't miss them," he mused, his nostalgia palpable. "And in just a few months, we're all gonna meet up again."

Putting the picture back in its place, he picked up a broom and began tidying up his apartment. After a refreshing shower, he felt invigorated.

"Ah," he sighed contentedly, "feeling refreshed."

But his tranquility was disrupted by the doorbell. Rafa hurried to answer it.

"Uh-Coming," he called out as he opened the door to find a school representative handing him an envelope.

"Master Rafa, for you," the representative said before departing.

Rafa closed the door, placing the envelope on his study table. "I'll read that after I'm dressed."

Fifteen minutes later, dressed and ready, Rafa left his apartment to meet his classmates in front of the colossal Sports Emporium, Bojo's Dome. Two familiar figures awaited him-a tall, muscular boy around his age and a girl in a green cloak holding a flute.

"Waving his hand toward them," Rafa greeted, "Yo!"

The tall boy, Bojin, playfully whacked Rafa on the back, causing him to stumble. "Idiot," Bojin laughed, "what took you so long? Do you know how long Alcea( Himari) and I have been waiting for you? How dare you do that to her?!"

Rafa got up, dusting himself off, and walked over to Alcea. He gently lifted the hair covering her face. "Hey, Himari," he said, causing her to gasp and blush. "I'm sorry, okay? No hard feelings, right?" Alcea shook her head to indicate a "No."

(Rafa calls her by her first name)

Bojin chuckled. "Alright then! Since the whole team is here, let's go inside. The rest of the school is already in."

Rafa marveled at the enormity of the place. "The whole school? Just how big is your dad's place?"

Bojin scratched his head. "Well, I guess we went kind of overboard in building this place."

"Kinda?" Rafa exclaimed. "This place could match up to the Stone Lord's Palace. Let's just go inside."

As they entered, Rafa was in awe of the size of the Sports Emporium. His voice echoed, drawing the attention of other students.

Their class teacher addressed them, and Rafa received a piece of paper with a team number on it. Team Number 10 was last to go through the obstacle course.

"Alright," Rafa said to his teammates, "it looks like we're Team 10. For now, let's analyze how teams 1 to 9 operate, revise, and perfect it, and then show what we've got."

Bojin teased him, "There he goes again, acting all brainy and stuff. You're scaring Alcea."

Rafa ran his hand through his hair and chuckled. "Hehe. Okay, guys, let's watch."