the final night || 4.4 || ǝʌᴉʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʍǝu ɐ

We've been walking for hours on end, the only sound accompanying us being each other's steep footsteps and the crunch of the leaves beneath us. This is our third day, and hopefully our final before heading back home. All together that's around five days, and within those five days we've been able to start talking to each other again. I never realized how much I yearned for her presence until she started talking again. I wonder how she feels about me. Probably a lot of confusing stuff, that's how I feel about her. I'd like if she felt the same.

"It feels like we've been walking for days..." She whines, slouched forward with tired, hazy eyes. I giggle at her over-animated posture and her dramatic expression.

"It's because we have been, silly. If you want to, I can carry you. You'll just have to wear my backpack, but that shouldn't be too bad." I offer, holding my hand out to her.

"You're just trying to show off that you can hold me and a heavy backpack at the same time, aren't you?" She jests with a small smirk on her face.

"I don't have to carry you. You can just keep complaining down there if you want." I say, shrugging and looking back to see her regretful reaction. She'd always been the hesitant type to accept favors, but I knew that she was exhausted. Not even exhausted, I don't even know if she can get exhausted. Maybe just completely bored out of her mind.

"No thank you, I kinda want you to carry me anyways." I take off my backpack, handing it to her. She struggled to even lift it as it had a bunch of tools in there, but after a long delay she was able to sling it over herself. I kneel down to allow her to get on me, supporting her legs by wrapping my arms around them. It was a tad uncomfortable, but she seemed to be please by it, and that's all that matters. "Hm. I told you I'm not good at keeping up with time anymore. Can't even distinguish between a few hours and a day. It's really annoying." She yawns, shoving her face into the back of my neck. She smelled nice, almost like a flower. I bet I smell nice too. When we were in middle school she talked me out of using three-in-one shampoo, conditioner and soaps. I'm glad someone told me. She also helped me realize that scents for girl's soaps will always be nicer than guy's soaps. I'd rather smell like pomegranate and mango instead of hand sanitizer, thank you very much.

"I dunno. You ever consider carrying a watch? Maybe then you can ease back into everything. If you want I can get you a nice one once we're home." I suggest, trying to aid her with her issue.

"At least take me out to dinner before buying me stuff, sheesh." She teases, poking my shoulder hard enough for me to notice but gently enough for it to not hurt.

"Who says I'm gonna buy it?" I say cheekily.

"...Are you a felon? You gonna steal a watch?"

"No, no, no, no. That's not what I meant at all. I was just gonna regift some stuff I don't want. It's not like a lot of the gifts I get are meaningful anyways, they're not even from family." I quickly save myself, clearing up any cause of confusion. This only led to her asking more questions, though.

"Are you getting them from friends?"

"Nah. Just random people." I answer briefly. I started to elaborate, knowing it wasn't a very clear answer. "Well, I mean, not random randoms. Just people at school who like me. Or, well, the idea of me. Something like that." If I could look at her, she'd probably just have a confused look on her face right now. That's the vibe she gave off as we fell into an awkward silence.

"What do you say to them?" ...

"You're nosy today."

"Don't dodge the question, Teru. I promise I'll let you ask me something later. It's only fair." She groans, a small impatience growing in her voice.

"I just tell them that there's somebody else I like. That usually gets them off my back." I cave in. I wouldn't answer this normally, but I felt the need to. I don't know why she has me in a position where I'm an open book.

"Wow, you really haven't changed at all. But honestly, I'm not disappointed. I guess I feel more at home than anything."

  "I'm glad. Anyways, I think we've just about made it. Before we enter, we oughta take a tiny break. Or at least I do. Can you look in the backpack and tell me if we have everything we need. I have my spirit blade by the way, so don't worry about that." I throw the bag onto the ground and collapse on the grass, resting my body and mind. It was dark out again, about nighttime, just perfect to exorcise the inhabitant of this mountain. The grass was moist and covered with dew, likely from melting snow in the area. I turned my head to see a lake nearby, not as large as the one we came across earlier, which I knew I'd be using as soon as possible after the exorcism. I've felt gross after not being able to bathe in a while, so it'd be refreshing after a victory. As I settle down, I feel a light object land on my face that was tossed to me by (Y/N). I felt around for it, and I knew exactly what it was. It was my bracelet. I thought I had it before, but I guess not. She's such a saint.

  "Thank you." I mutter, eyes closed.

  "Mhm... You know how you always tell people there's someone else you like? Is that true, or was it really just a thing to get people to stop annoying you without feeling bad?" She questions. I responded hastily without thinking at all.

  "It started as something to get people off my back." I yawn. That was the truth. Well, at least half of it.

  "Started? Is it still the same?" She lays down on her side, staring at me while holding her head up with her hand.

  Did she know? Did she really find the loophole in my wording that easily? I can't just not answer now, it'd be weird to just stop after that. I could easily lie. But... I don't wanna. I look back up to her, staring at her eyes. Her luscious eyelashes were highlighted by the moonlight, as well as her glossy lips. I know how I feel about her, but I don't know what exactly it is. It's one of those things you can only describe by actually talking, I don't know how else I'd put it. I've been sitting here pondering for too long, and she probably thinks I'm crazy now. It's better if I just say something. I'll say how I actually feel.

  "Well... (Y/N). I uh... have something to tell you. It's probably long overdue but..." I take a breath of air as if it were my final breath, as if what I would say next would make or break everything.

  "(Y/N)... I think you're really amazing." I look back at her, expecting a stare of confusion. Instead, I received a warm smile.

"Took you long enough. I think you're awesome, too. I like you a lot." As the words escape her mouth, I feel a heavy weight lifted off my chest. Maybe things would be better if I told her earlier, but... I don't mind this. Not at all.

"I'm glad the feeling is mutual."

I want this to last forever.