𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚣𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 || 𝟷.𝟺

As the week started, we had school in motion once again. My amazing weekend had vanished as we had fractions to do in math class. In the 6th grade, volume had to be the worst part. In all honesty, I'm bad with numbers. To me, numbers just look like complex shapes, and I'm not good with shapes either. The more that I think about it, I'm not good with anything. Thankfully, the state test we had to take was over with, so I finally had time to relax. I could tell I flunked the math test, but I did good in English. Not to boast, but I was always the best at English in my school.

  "Hello children," My dapper teacher, Yun-sensei, boomed. "The state test results had finally arrived, and I can say that our class did great this year! There were quite a few people in the top 3 of the district. Ryuuku-san, second place in the math segment. Kai-san, second place in the science segment. Annaisha-san, second place in the history segment. And last but not least, (L/N)-san, second place in English!"

  A round of applause followed, but I was curious as to how we all only got second. I was anticipating a first place person from our school. Apparently, Kai-kun had been thinking the same. Kai-kun raised his hand, hoping to get answers.

  "Sensei, who beat us? I'm shocked that Ryuuku-kun didn't get first place in math."

  "Oh, according to the paper, Minamoto Teru from Sakura Academy had gotten first place in every single subject."

  'Huh,' I thought. 'Teru-kun got first place in every single subject? That's not fair...'

  In the meanwhile, The whole class had gone on a tangent, raving about Teru-kun.

  "Who is this guy? Did he cheat?"

  "Maybe he paid the government to hire his grade! He does go to a private school after all, so he must have big bucks."

  "Ahh~ Have you guys seen him in real life? He's a dreamboat!"

  "Shut up, Nyashi-chan, that's not the issue!"

  "She does have a point, Minamoto-kun is handsome..."

  As the class rambled on and on, I looked at the time, anticipating for the bell to ring. Thankfully, my prayers had been answered.

  Ding, dong, Bing, bong!

  I silently celebrate as the bell rings, releasing us to go home. I had ran to the backyard ASAP, and peeked over into Teru-kun's backyard. Just as I suspected, he wasn't there. Thankfully though, his brother was.

  "Hey kid," I yell. "I'm taking a peach, call your brother over here please!"

  "You didn't have to take the peach, you could've just asked me to call Teru-nii over..." Kou grumbled.

  "Fine," Kou took a deep breath in. "NII-CHAN! NII-CHAN! YOUR GIRLFRIEND NEEDS YOU! DON'T LEAVE HER HANGING, THAT'S UNMANLY!" He yelled deafeningly.

"Wow, kid. You're so loud..." I mutter.

"What is it, Kou? Don't be so loud next time..." Teru-kun mumbled.

"(L/N)-chan needs you!" Kou tugged on Teru's sleeve.

"Hey, Teru-kun," I said. "Come closer."

He curiously inched his way over to the fence that I was sitting on, giving me the perfect opening to, "ATTACK!" I exclaim wall jumping down on him, trapping him under my arms.

"Huh? What did I do?" He asked.

"You got a higher score than me on the state test!" I start fake punching him.

"What?"

"I would've gotten first place if you didn't do better than me! I hate you."

"Mm, that's a little harsh, isn't it, (Y/N)-chan?" He whispers.

"Well-" I get rudely interrupted by Kou.

"What are you doing? That's an awkward position." He asked.

"Ah, it's nothing, Kou." He said.

"If you guys are gonna do something weird, I'll leave." Kou walks in the house with his basket of peaches that he had collected.

"Now that your brother is gone, I could actually punch you for real! Now get up so I can show you how strong I can punch!"

"I'd love to see you try." He smirked.

I garnered all my might, my force, my courage, I was gonna punch him so hard that he gets knocked back!

Thump.

Teru stood still, not even scratched by my hardest blow.

"Okay, now it's my turn!" He exclaimed.

THUD!

With one hard punch, I was sent flying back.

"Owwwww! Teru-kun, that hurt!" I whined.

He had just started snickering and teasing me, ruffling my hair while I was hugging my chest.

"You like to talk big-talk, don't you? You're relentless. But it's kinda cute, so I don't really mind it." He playfully ridiculed.

"C-cute? How!? I see myself as intimidating!" I yell.

"Eh, not really." He chuckled, offering his hand to help me up.

I grabbed his hand and allowed him to assist me. His hands were surprisingly as soft as a baby's bottom, gently tugging me up. For some reason, it made me feel warm on the inside.

"Thanks. Do you want to maybe walk around the neighborhood or something? I'm a little bored, I guess." I shrug.

"Of course. I know a really cool place to walk through, actually. It has a lot of cherry blossoms and beautiful vibrant green grasses."

  "Alright, we can go there then. I need to get a coat, though. It's kinda cold right now."

  "Oh, you can have my coat. I have a long sleeve shirt on under it, anyways." He offered.

  "No, it's fine. Thanks, though."

  "Are you sure? It's not a big deal."

  "Yeah, I'm sure. Anyways, we should get going. I'll meet you in your yard."

  After I retrieved my coat, I bolted out the front door.

  "I'm ready, we can go now." I said.

  He nodded while we took a brisk and silent walk to the place he had been talking about. After walking a few blocks, we had finally arrived. Stunning cotton-candy-pink cherry trees were scattered across a natural dirt path, green forests of long grass surrounding us. Light blue skies with an orange ombré hue, clouds as fluffy as a wad of cotton. It all felt so surreal. I look back at Teru-kun to make sure he was still next to me, and we make direct eye contact. Teru's vibrant eyes stood out from the scene. It felt like we were the only people in the world at this moment, but it was short-lived.

  "Huh?" Teru quirked an eyebrow.

  "O-oh. I'm sorry!" I exclaim.

  "No, it's not you, but... some people from my school are here."

  "Oh, I see. They're coming over here, odd."

  "Minamoto-senpai! Hiiii~ I didn't know you would be here. This is actually the perfect time, I have something to tell you!" A petite girl had come running toward us. She was really pretty, long light blue hair, hazel eyes, and a cute button nose. She had come with a group of three other folks, all surrounding her and cheering her on.

  "Huh? What is it?" Teru asked.

  "U-uhm, T-t-Teru-kun, I've liked you for a while now.... So.... Canwepleasegoonadate?" She mumbled quickly.

  "Oh, sorry, I'm not really interested in relationships right now, since we're only in elementary. I need to focus on my studies." He shut her down quicker than she spoke.

  "Y-yeah, that's fine! I totally get it!" She whimpers.

  While this is going on, I sit and watch the situation go down. Everybody is focused on Teru-kun, and I'm practically invisible. As he rejects the pretty girl, I had come to the quick realization in a matter of seconds.

  I don't have a chance with Minamoto Teru. Not a single chance.