𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚛𝚢𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚕 𝚌𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚕𝚊𝚔𝚎 || 𝟷.𝟸

As Sunday rolled around, I had planned to talk to Minamoto-kun in his backyard. While my parents left to the market, I hopped over the fence and landed safely. I observed the area, but nobody seemed to be in the garden.

'Oh well.' I thought.

"Hey, I'm glad you showed up." Minamoto-kun said.

"Wait, huh? Where are you?" I asked, still looking around, unable to find him.

"Look up," In all of his glory, I found Minamoto-kun in the peach tree, sitting on a branch. "Peekaboo!"

"Oh, there you are. So, why did you want me to come over here anyways?" I ask while climbing the tree, sitting on a thick branch across from him.

"I didn't know that there was someone who looks like they're in my grade in this neighborhood."

"What grade are you in?" I inquired.

"6th grade. You?"

"Oh, same. Looks like your guess was correct."

A void of silence followed after, both of us awkwardly looking around for something to talk about.

"Do you wanna maybe, uhm, go to the lake near the park? It's a good place for stone skipping, and it has a lot of cool froggies there." He suggested.

"Yeah, why not?"

"I'm going to tell my mom that I'm going, I'll meet you in the front yard." He waved while smiling brightly. That was the first time I've ever gotten a close look at him, and I realized how beautiful his eyes are.

"G-got it." I stutter. While hopping over the fence to the front yard, I scolded myself for even thinking about his eyes. I didn't even know what type of person he was, yet I was swooning as soon as he made eye contact.

  "Alright, I'm ready. Let's go." He grinned while shutting the bulky front door behind him.

  The walk to the lake was serene and silent. All you could hear were the chirps of the birds, the hum of the wind, and the rustling of leaves. As we arrived, I could see why Minamoto-kun wanted to go here. Waters as clear as a mirror, reflecting all of the evergreen trees surrounding it. Tadpoles could be seen drifting in the water and the frogs were croaking loudly. Minamoto-kun picks up a stone and catapults it into the water, making it skip. For every skip, the water had rippled.

  "26 skips. Not bad." He says.

  "I bet I could do better, it looks easy!" I proudly boast.

  I picked up a small rock and launch it into the water with all my might. After one skip, my rock had sunk.

  "..."

  "For the record, that was my first time!" I reasoned.

  "Oh, I'll show you how to do it. My brother says I'm a pretty good teacher." Minamoto-kun passes me a stone.

  "Okay, so how do I do this?"

  "Ah," he grabbed my hand that was holding the stone. "You have to throw it overhand and at a certain angle. Try to throw it closer to shore. If it's in the air longer the stone will spin. Give it all your power, and throw." He uses my hand to show me the motion that I must throw in.

  I blushed from the way he held my hand, but I continued to launch the rock, aiming with my arms in the position of a bow and arrow. The rock hopped in the water, pitter-pattering across the lake waters.

  "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6....16." I counted.

  "Good job. I still beat you though!" He grinned triumphantly.

  "Awww..." I sigh.

  "It's fine, you did great for your first time." He assured.

  "Hey Minamoto-kun," I say. "Do you have any dreams? Or, uhh, what's the word? Aspirin? Asper... Aspen..." I trailed off.

  "Aspirations? Yeah. I want to become an exorcist. It's kinda a thing that runs in my family, my dad is an exorcist. What about you, what do you want to do?" He asked.

  "I don't have any dreams or goals, I guess I'm just going with the flow. Anyways, what do you want to do now?"

  "I want to know you a smidgen more... what school do you go to?" He inquired.

  "West Nakashima Elementary. You?"

  "Oh, Sakura Academy. I was hoping we went to the same school."

  "My parents wanted me to go there, but they didn't have enough money to enroll." I glumly said.

  "It's fine though, I'm pretty sure they're in the same district. Maybe in middle school we'll see each other." He shrugs.

  "Yeah, I hope so. How is it there? In Sakura Academy?"

  "It's not bad, it's just your typical Academy thingy."

  "Yeah... What should we do now?" I asked.

  "Get to know each other."