𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚎 || 𝟸.𝟹

Lively music streaming into my ears, colorful sounds all coming together to form a nice rhythm. As I walked to my new school, eccentric beats play from my phone. Now that we had graduated middle school, we were ready to take on high school. A lot had changed since last time, actually. Teru-kun is more intimate in becoming an exorcist, while I decided to go into a music club rather than being in the student council.

  A whole bunch of other things changed, too. Me and Teru no longer have any classes together, so we can only talk to each other during lunch. Not only that, but he constantly has people surrounding him and talking to him, making it impossible for me to converse with him without getting bombarded by other people. After a while, I started to wish I could spend more time with him. I can't really talk to him after school anymore because he is caught up in studying and training, and not to mention teaching his brother about the art of exorcism.

One thing hasn't changed, though. My feelings for him. I was hoping that they would have gone away by the time, but that unfortunately wasn't the case. I had always actively tried to get a sliver of free time alone with him, but his fangirls disallowed me from doing that. And when his fangirls aren't around, he has to fulfill his duties as the Vice President of the student council. No doubt that he is gonna get elected for president next year. I'll be there to cheer him on though, even if we don't spend much time together anymore.

On the bright side, I was having fun in the music club. The club leader, Kurosaki Naomi, is great at teaching all instruments, from simple brass instruments to obscure instruments like accordions and theremins. She's the person to go to whenever you're having trouble. She had taught me how to play the violin and keyboard in the span of three months, which is quite the amazing feat.

After a while, I'd been desperately craving free time with Teru like in the old days, but nothing really got through to him. For about a month now, I haven't talked to Teru besides saying hi to each other in the halls. I decided to ask Kurosaki-senpai about what I should do.

"Well, (Y/N)-chan, maybe you could make him a song. Music can have many themes and can provoke many feelings, one of the, being love. What message are you trying to convey, anyways?" Kurosaki-senpai suggested.

"Good idea, I want to get a message like... 'I miss talking to you a lot so can we reconnect?'" I answered.

"Got it! Songwriting isn't too hard once you know what you're trying to convey, plus, I can teach you how to play a more romantic instrument if you want. Bass, ukulele, you name it!" She offered.

"Yeah, we can work on that once I get the lyrics down, though! Thank you Kurosaki-senpai, I couldn't live without you!" I shouted with gratitude.

A few hours after school ended, I had been chewing the eraser on my pencil while struggling to write down song lyrics. Everything was either too cheesy or too hard to interpret. I had started writing more lyrics on a small piece of paper.

Just a month away from you and now I'm devastated,
My daily life without you is just so damn complicated,
Maybe we can talk together, cuz' we don't really live forever

"Ughhh," I yelled frustratedly. "I can't write songs for shit. Yet another paper thrown in the trash." I tossed the paper aside in the nearby trash bin.

Why is it so hard just to reconnect with Teru? Or maybe I'm making it harder than it seems. I had decided to check in Teru's backyard for the first time in forever, and I'm greeted by Kou.

"Hey, (Y/N)-senpai, what's going on?" Kou asked.

"Nothing much kiddo, what about you?" I replied.

"Eh, just normal middle school things. What do you need?"

"Can you see if your brother is busy right now? I just want to talk with him a tiny bit."

"Sure! You can come in the yard, by the way."

"Thanks, Kou-kun!"

The good thing about being older is that I was now tall enough to climb the backyard fence without a step stool. After hopping over the fence, I waited for Teru, freshening up and making sure I looked somewhat presentable.

"(Y/N)-chan, long time no see!" Teru waved at me whilst entering the backyard.

"It's only been a month, that's not too long back. Anyways, I kinda wanted to apologize for not meeting you at lunch as usual, I guess I've just been nervous to talk to you when you always have a crowd surrounding you." I nervously spat out.

  "Oh? It's fine (Y/N)-chan, you should've told me earlier! I could've freed up time for you."

  "N-no! No need, I don't want to get in your way, you know?"

  "No, I want to spend time with you. You aren't getting in my way, silly!" He ruffled my hair.

  "Really? Well, if that's the case, then sure. Anyways, how are things in the student council currently?" I asked.

  "Pretty good, President is really easygoing so I don't have much work. I'm hoping to run for President next year, a few teachers even gave me testimonials."

  "Pretty much expected, when you win the election by a long shot, I'll be cheering you on!"

  "I hope you will. Anyways, how is the music club and whatever?" He asked.

  "Great! I can play the violin and keyboard, it's been really fun!" I exclaim.

  "Hm, you're gonna have to show me your skills sometime."

  "I can do that tomorrow, actually! Meet me at the band room after school if you can."

  "I got it! I might show up a bit late though, I have to print a few papers. That shouldn't take too long, though."

  "Got it! See you tomorrow, Teru-kun." I salute and hop back over the wooden fence.

  I had never anticipated what happened the next day in the band room.