𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚕𝚢 || 𝟷.𝟷

As winter inched away, spring had finally sprung. The beautiful flowers near the park had come out of hiding, slowly blooming out facing the sun. The trees had started gaining leaves once again, reaching their full size. The water in the small pond finally thawing, making crystal clear waters now visible. The skies had escaped from the gloomy grey shades and had turned into warm pinks and oranges. The overwhelmingly charming nature scenes make spring my favorite season. But my most favorite part of spring was the neighbor's peach tree.

  The tree must've been ancient, because that thing is so enormous that it goes past their fence and enters my backyard area. Despite the tree being as old as dirt, it's a great source for peaches because of the large amount that it grows. My mother had always got annoyed at this tree because it took up some of our backyard space, but I found it as a blessing. Every Saturday morning, I would slyly take peaches from the tree. For some reason, those peaches tasted better than any normal peaches my mother would get at the market. The sweet and ripe inside of the delectable fruit perfectly mixed with the fuzzy skin that had a certain tang to it.

  It was just another Saturday morning, and I got up to borrow their peaches without permission as usual. I started plucking the peaches off mischievously and putting them in the bamboo-woven basket that my father had gave me. As I was almost done taking the peaches on my side of the fence, I had heard a ruffling in one of the bushes. I looked back and shrugged, carelessly snatching the peaches one by one. As I dusted my hands off, a child had rolled out of the bush in the neighbor's backyard.

  "Hey! Stop stealing the peaches! It took me a while to grow those, now give them back!" The child had whined tumultuously.

  He looked like he was a year or two younger than me, but nonetheless very scrawny. His orange hair covered his eyes, but just by his crossed arms, I could tell he was pissed.

  "What would you do if I didn't give back the peaches?" I instigate.

  "I-I'll call my brother! And he'll beat you to a pulp!" He cries.

  "Awwww, so scary! I think I'm gonna die," I tease. "Of laughter! Send him over here, I double dog dare you."

  While the kid runs back into his house, I had picked up some of the peaches and started juggling them while I waited. This kid must've been a part of a circus, because he has me amused. After a while, the kid comes out holding his brother's hand, pointing at me while crying.

  "Teru-nii, that girl took some of our peaches!" The child complained.

  "To be fair, your tree is literally growing inside our yard space." I said nonchalantly.

  "Hmm, how will I deal with this?" Teru asked himself quietly.

  "Maybe you can-" I got rudely interrupted by the puny kid shoving a peach in my mouth.

  "Be quiet, Teru-nii is trying to think!" He yells.

  "Mmffff hhhfffff!" I tried to say something, but it was all muffled.

  "Kou, shoving food in other people's mouths isn't okay." Teru scolded.

  "Even if they stole our peaches?"

  "Even if they stole our peaches."

  "Hey, are you guys done yet?" I break in impatiently.

  "Oh, uh. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, ma'am." Teru apologizes.

  "It's fine, but don't call me ma'am, it makes me feel old, which I'm not..." I grumble.

  "Then what can I call you?"

  "(L/N)-chan. You?"

  "Minamoto-kun. Anyways, uhm... If I give you a...." Minamoto-kun looks around in his garden for anything to give me.

  "This white lily, will you not take any peaches from our tree?" He asks.

  "No promises." I shrug.

  "Hah, fair enough. Take it anyways." Minamoto-kun hands me the pristine white flower.

  "Thanks."

  "Would you like to talk with me later maybe? You don't have to if you don't want to, of course."

  "Eh, sure."

  "Wait, are you kidding me? You gave her a flower even though she stole our peaches? Not cool." Kou complained.

  "Hey kid," I get Kou's attention. "I won't take any more of your peaches... except maybe one. But that's it, I assure you. If you find me digging through your tree again, your brother has permission to beat me to a pulp."

  "O-okay! Pinky promise?" He asks.

  "Yeah, sure. Pinky promise."