Chapter 10

"Shit!" I yelped, immediately biting my lip trying to keep the volume down.

"You just can't go a day without getting yourself hurt can you y/n." I muttered staring at the bloody rags next to me and sighing in defeat.

I had slept in pretty late and was thankful that the volunteers, myself included, had the week off from training or else I would have collapsed on the courtyard from exhaustion.

After my talk with Onyankopon he promised he wouldn't say anything and that he would keep an eye on Yelena for me but in return I had to prioritize my own health since he couldn't take care of me himself.

He reminded me of the relationship I had with Levi they both treated me like a baby however Levi scared me into listening and the only thing Onyankopon had as an advantage was height.

As much as I wanted to take care of Yelena I felt too awkward being around her at the moment.

I wanted to know if she remembered last night. If she did, did she care? Was she upset or thankful that I was there with her? Who was I kidding she herself told me she hated me even in her state she had the decency to remember how much she loathed my existence.

Many thoughts clouded my mind but I shook them away and continued disinfecting the cuts on my knees and hands.

After cursing out everything in sight and hissing from the stinging for what felt like an eternity I finally felt relief wash over me when I secured the last bandage down.

I didn't feel like leaving my room much less eating but my stomach growled from hunger. It was late enough that by now everyone was almost finished eating lunch.

I grabbed a long skirt to cover the bandages on my knees and a pair of gloves to cover the ones on my hands. I completed my outfit with a button-down shirt along with my trusty boots.

Slowly I limped off my bed but stopped right outside my door when I heard faint voices from inside Yelena's room.

The door was closed but the people who I identified as Yelena and Onyankopon were arguing loudly enough for me to clearly tell what they were saying. I heard Onyankopon telling Yelena that she was sick and had to rest and a very irritated Yelena yelling back saying that she was fine.

I stood still for a couple more minutes chuckling at her stubbornness before I continued walking down the hall.

I was only a few feet down the hall when I heard an exasperated "Fine! But-" I didn't want to wait around for the but part so I began walking faster. I already feared for Onyakopon as I knew Yelena was bound to make him make up for her time resting.

I would have to make the poor man some tea and cookies later for having to put up with Yelena all day.

My attention was brought back to the soreness on my knees. When I had walked around freely last night somehow the pain hadn't affected me but now I wasn't so sure I could make it even another step without crashing down onto the floor.

Stumbling my way towards the kitchen I greeted the cooks who were getting ready to leave and rushed over to the pantry.

Nobody questioned me anymore as I often walked into the kitchen unannounced yet everyone greeted me with smiles. I knew that my presence was enjoyed since on some days I would help around with either cooking or cleaning.

Although Marley was known for its seafood and its culinary geniuses I usually ate a bowl of soup and some bread as it was the closest thing I had to home whenever I felt down.

On many occasions I ate the many delicacies that Marley offered only because I remembered how my friends would probably love these foods and maybe one day we could enjoy them together.