I. nightmares

y/n's pov:

  I LAYED ON MY BED, BOOK IN HAND as my [e/c] eyes followed the words along the page, I spot a shadow out of the corner of my eye standing near the windowsill

  I LAYED ON MY BED, BOOK IN HAND as my [e/c] eyes followed the words along the page, I spot a shadow out of the corner of my eye standing near the windowsill. I made no effort to look up already knowing who it was.

"Ew, you read for fun" Marcus stated, a disgusted look painted his face as he snatched the book from my grasp. "The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald"

I applauded him as I began to speak "Wow, didn't know you could read"

"Ha ha very funny, you ready?" He asked, arm extended. I grasped his hand as he pulled me off my bed and to my feet.

"Always"

We exited my room, walking down the hallway to my twins room. "Knock Knock, all aboard the stoner express" Marcus goofily said holding a up a bag of weed.

I rolled my eyes at how stupid that sounded. "Let's go losers" I exclaimed walking down the stairs in a hurry. I looked back to see Brian dapping him up.

We walked out the front door, speeding past the neighbors house that just so happened to be the Baker's home. What a coincidence? My twin and I being best friends with the next door neighbors.

The Baker's have been such amazing people to my family and I ever since we moved in. Our adoptive parents are very work oriented so they're never really home. Most of our time is spent next door. Although they're never home they're the most loving parents we could ever ask for.

And we're very grateful for everything they've done for us.
...

After hanging out at the park, sitting on the curb for a few hours Brian and I spilt from Marcus to go get a bite to eat.

"So have you talked to Abby at all-" I began but was cut off by Brian.

"No, I haven't. Can we not talk about it"

"Well brother I never pegged you as the guy that would still be heartbroken for a whole summer" I said looking up at him as we walked home.

"I'm not heartbroken" He claimed. I didn't buy it so I chuckled a bit.

"Well good because if you were I would have to do some serious ass kicking" I teased, laughing my ass off.

"If anyone could do it, it's you... come on let's go" He stated leading me inside of the house but before we fully entered we heard a car pull in next door.

"I wanna know what you were thinking smoking weed on the side of the road in clear viewpoint of everyone. Neighbors, the cops... seriously, I wanna know what was going through your brain!" Ellen's angry voice filled the air.

As nosy as I was I walked in viewpoint and Marcus tried to contain his smile as we made eye contact. "Well, it's legal now"

I tried to contain my laughter as Mrs. Baker spoke once more "Not for you, it isn't. You get inside that house. You are grounded. Acknowledge me, dammit!"

"Alright, I'm grounded. When's dinner though? 'Cause I'm really hungry. And I'm sure they are too" Marcus pointed in our direction.

Mrs. Baker turned around and put on a fake smile but you could see from a mile away she was fuming. "Hey kids, dinner should be ready around 7" She said sweetly.

"Yes!" Marcus exclaimed.

"Not for you... see you kids later" Mrs. Baker walked back inside embarrassed that the new neighbors across the street witnessed the altercation.

"Thanks Mrs. Baker" My brother and I said in unison before walking back inside the house.

...

To kill time I ended up taking a nap that was much needed. Ever since I was younger I slept all the time to try and avoid my biological father. He was such a horrible person to my brother and I.

When he died all those years ago I never remembered being upset considering the way he used to touch me and hit my brother. My biological mom left us when we were 3 which led to 4 terrifying years with our sperm donor.

Yes he died when we were 7. Overdose. Which is when we got put into foster care given that there was no trace of our birth giver. And then our life took a turn for the better when mama and pop adopted us and moved us here in Wellsbury.

Even though our birth giver and sperm donor were out of our lives everything he did to me played in my head like a record player every time I closed my eyes. The nightmares I'd get when I was younger were worse then now it's like a knife stabbing me in my chest over and over again.

That's when I started to use other things to cope.

I felt hands start shaking me awake "Peanut! Peanut are you okay?" Brian asked me repeatedly. I sat up immediately, my hand flew to my forehead wiping off beads of sweat I didn't realize I had.

"You're getting them again aren't you" He spoke quietly.

I stayed silent and ignored his statement. "I think I'm going to skip dinner tonight, you should probably head over" I explained walking over to my bathroom and locking the door.

"I'm staying here with you. I'll text Marcus, tell him we can't go tonight" "No, you have to go he'll think somethings wrong and nothings wrong" I spoke sitting on the bathroom floor, head in my hands.

"Peanut-" Brian started but I cut him off.

"Stay, go whatever's fine I just want to be alone"

He stayed quiet but never left instead he sat on the other side of the door.

This can't be happening again. What am I going to do? I thought to myself.