fifty-seven || blissful ignorance

the song for this chapter is "All In My Head," by Whethan and grandson :)

TW: MENTIONS OF PANIC ATTACKS! PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK! 

***********

Finley

   We were all currently sat on the sectional couch in the poolhouse with Alex and Tommy standing in front of us, nervous looks on their faces that did nothing to calm our own nerves.

   Lars was directly beside me, with Caspian practically attached to his thigh, their hands resting over each other and making me smile a bit despite the tense circumstances that loomed over us. Willa sat next to Caspian, with Grant just as close to her as Lars and Caspian were on her other side, leaving me the odd man out. But I didn't mind. 

   Willa and Lars looked the most lost of anyone, and I felt bad for them, as they were probably the most out of the loop out of everyone here. Grant looked less stressed, but still concerned nonetheless, and Caspian just looked sad, like he knew where this was leading but he didn't want to believe it. 

   "Alright, there's some stuff we need to explain," Alex began, rubbing at the back of his neck, seeming to hold so much weight on his shoulders as we all looked to him for answers.

   "There is a reason we moved you all into the poolhouse...last night...Harry and Alex found Clarke dead," Tommy spoke, and I know that my stomach dropped right to the bottom of my feet at his words. Grant mumbled out a curse, and even though Lars and Willa didn't really know Clarke, I watched as their faces dropped as well. 

   "Who the fuck did this?" Grant asked, sounding both hurt and angry at the same time as he spoke.

   Alex let out a sigh, glancing up at Tommy who nodded for him to continue.

   "That's what we need to talk about. Grant, Caspian, the name I am about to say is going to be one that is painfully familiar to you...but for everyone else, it's going to be new," Alex explained, taking in a large breath of air before continuing.

   "Harvey Cain."

   The name meant nothing to me, but to Caspian and Grant, it meant so much. Both of their faces paled instantly, and I watched as a nervous gulp traveled down each of their throats as the name was revealed.

   "But he's-" Grant tried to interject, but Alex laughed bitterly and cut him off.

   "Dead? Yeah, that's what we all thought too. But there's no doubt in our minds that he is alive. When we found Clarke, we found him with a cyanide pill, and a note in his handwriting," Alex continued. 

   Lars, Willa, and I looked back and forth between each other, confused expressions clouding our faces as we tried to understand why this person was causing so much turmoil in the people around us. 

   "Finley, Lars, Willa, allow me to clear some things up for you," Tommy sighed, rubbing his hands together in front of himself.

   "Harvey Cain is the old partner of Leonardo. He was there when this mafia was just beginning to bloom, and he is one of the worst human beings that I have ever met in my life," he continued, his explanation informing us, but failing to provide us with any sort of comfort.