seventy-one || a conscious nightmare

the song for this chapter is "One Way Or Another," by Until The Ribbon Breaks

TW: this chapter will contain topics of abuse, panic attacks, and anxiety. Please do not read if these are topics that will trigger things for you. I've said it before, but I only write about these things because I have had first-hand experience with them. While not everything mentioned is a direct reflection of my own life,  there are a lot of things that still struck very close for me, so, I ask you to please be especially kind to Finley in this chapter. I had to take a lot of breaks while writing this just because of my own anxiety about it. Finley is about to see the person who caused her so much trauma and pain, so be patient and understanding with her reactions to things, as it is a very triggering situation for her. As always, if any of you ever need anything...I AM HERE. And I mean that wholeheartedly. I love each and every single one of you so so much.

***********

Finley

   Alex hopped in my car right when I pulled up the driveway. I didn't even have to call him to tell him that I was there.

   "Were you just standing out here waiting on me?" I laughed as he buckled in, making himself comfortable.

   "Finn, I've been up for hours. I've been so bored in there, everyone else is still asleep, of course, I've been waiting out here. I woke up when I heard you and Harry open the garage door and went ahead and got dressed," he admitted with a laugh.

   "Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but we aren't exactly going on an adventure. Unless you consider making sure me, Lars and Willa have the right amount of socks for our trip an adventure," I apologized, backing out of the driveway and turning back onto the main road. 

   He looked at me in surprise. "They're coming with us to the Rally Races? Damn, Leo must really like you," he laughed in amazement.

   "Don't sound so shocked, Alex, you wound me," I replied dramatically. 

   He sighed and let his head fall back against the seat, shaking his head back and forth with a smile.

   "That's not what I meant. Of course, he likes you. Everyone does, Finn. Leo's always been kind of an oddball, but still, he usually means business. No matter how many jokes he tells, I would still not want to get on his bad side. But you...you've opened up a more carefree version of him. I think you've done that for us all," he admitted with a shrug.

   "You guys have done the same for me, don't sell yourself short," I countered, lightly nudging his shoulder with my fist.

   He scoffed. "Yeah, because involving you in a life where you have to worry about your head being blown off just screams 'carefree' right?" he joked.

   "Okay, okay. Sure, the constant possibility of death is a little unnerving, but...you guys have helped me to let loose, to feel safer, to...I don't know, to take risks, I guess," I replied sincerely, finding it hard to articulate the many ways that they had helped me in my life.

   "Well, I'm glad I could be of service," Alex teased, tipping an imaginary hat in my direction as we drove.

   We made the route to my house, cutting a few minutes off of the usual time that it took due to my...efficient driving skills.