sixty-seven || the chain

the song for this chapter is "The Scientist," by Coldplay :)

***********

TW: MENTIONS OF TOPICS SUCH AS SEXUAL ASSAULT, ANXIETY, DEPRESSION

TW: MENTIONS OF TOPICS SUCH AS SEXUAL ASSAULT, ANXIETY, DEPRESSION. If any of these topics are too difficult for you to read, please skip over them. And please know, if you ever need anything, I am here for you. I would not discuss or write about these topics if they were not things that I have personally encountered, and that people around me have encountered. I truly mean when I say, if you need me, I am here. I will be here in any way that I can, and in the best way that I know-how. I love you all endlessly.

***********

Harry

Much to my surprise, I did not see Harvey Cain's disgusting face again after the race. It seemed that his goal was to merely make an appearance. To come out of the shadows just enough to let us know that he was really there, only to sneak back into them after giving us a peek.

We reconvened as a group back at the house, sleeping inside the main portion of it instead of the poolhouse for the first time since Clarke's death.

After everyone, including myself, checked multiple times if Finley needed anything, anything at all, we all retreated to our own separate rooms in the house.

Finley and I were currently sat side by side on the edge of the bed, and I figured that, until she was ready to speak, I would continue to just sit here next to her.

As if on cue, however, her voice breaking the long-standing silence caused my body to jolt slightly.

"I've met him before," she muttered out, her eyes looking dazed and confused as they zoned out to an unknown spot on the floor, her body rigid as she sat.

I sat up a little bit straighter at her words, feeling the crease of my brows as I tried to make sense of what she had just said.

"You met who before, Finley?" I questioned hesitantly.

She finally tore her eyes away from whatever captivating spot on the floor she had been entranced with, her normally vibrant and happy green eyes looking severely exhausted as they met mine.

"You know who," she spoke gravely, and as soon as she answered me my stomach began to twist and my fingers involuntarily began to fist at the sheets beneath them.

"You met Harvey before? When?" I asked in disbelief.

She nodded at me. "The first race I ever went to, believe it or not," she chuckled, obviously unamused by the situation.

The confused look remained on my face, prompting her to elaborate.

She sighed and reached a hand up to run it through her messy braid, which was barely held together by the elastic at the end of it.