Shake It Take Control (Jane/Mason)

(more or less a follow-up fic for the previous chapter - you don't have to have read it for this to make sense though!) 

x

Jane liked Madison. She did. She just… didn’t think she would be spending so much time with her.

Jane was absolutely thrilled that her and Mason were a couple. Mason was nothing short of perfect. Kind, polite, funny, and for whatever reason, seemed to really, genuinely like Jane. It had been a few weeks since they got together, and Jane was still in disbelief. It was just that it was really, really hard to get alone time with him.

Their first official date was to a concert, but apparently it was Madison’s favorite band, so she had to tag along. Just a few days later, Jane and Mason were supposed to spend the afternoon at the mall together, but Madison said she had to pick up a few things, so she might as well join them. And after that it just… kept happening. Jane was starting to wonder if maybe Mason and Madison were actually conjoined twins. It was getting hard to tell. Jane couldn’t even sit with him in Glee without Madison cutting in and taking part in all of their conversations.

One day, when Glee got out and everybody was beginning to disperse, Jane elected to get to the bottom of the issue. She would talk to Mason and confront him about it, and hopefully he would banish his sister once and for all, problem solved. But getting Mason alone just to talk to was hard enough.

“Madison? Do you think I could have a second to speak to your brother privately?”

“Aw, Jane, you know that there is nothing that you can tell Mason that you can’t tell me,” Madison drawled, her voice drenched with so much artificial sweetness, Jane was beginning to think she was half Splenda. “Besides, whatever you tell Mason, he’s just going to tell me later anyway. We’ve had a full disclosure agreement since birth. It’s a twin thing.”

Well, obviously Jane couldn’t bring it up now.

“I was just going to ask Mason if he wants to grab coffee at the Lima Bean before school tomorrow.”

Before Mason could open his mouth to answer, Madison piped in, enthused. “Oh, we’d love to! I swear, getting up in the mornings is becoming harder and harder. We could all use some caffeine to get us through the day. Great idea, Jane!”

And that was that.

The next day, Jane took it upon herself to corner Mason in the hallway right before his one class that he didn’t have with Madison. (He took poetry while she was in art. “Even twins have stylistic differences.”)

She came right out and said it. “Do you want to break up?”

Mason blinked at her a few times, clearly trying to process what she had just asked him, surprised. “What?”

“I just…” Jane began. She suddenly found herself unable to look at Mason directly, and focused her eyes on her hands, which fiddled with the hem of her skirt. “ I didn’t know if you actually wanted to be with me.”

“What? Of course I want to be with you!” Mason exclaimed, with so much conviction that Jane couldn’t help but be inclined to believe him. “Why would you even think that?”

“It’s just that you always invite Madison along whenever we do anything, so I wasn’t sure if you just needed that third wheel to-”

“Madison invited herself. I swear, I had nothing to do with it-”

“You know, you could always tell her off,” Jane interrupted, annoyed. Mason gave a dejected sigh, and looked at Jane with sad eyes. Jane felt her knees buckle. Damn those sad eyes.