When There's Moonlight (Jane/Mason)

When Mason made his grand entrance into the choir room with his sister in tow, he had to admit that he'd been expecting a bit... more. Maybe some dramatic music, a parade... confetti at the very least. What he got was two other students, looking absolutely scared shitless. This must have been the rest of the "glee club". Huh.

He recognized the guy just from seeing him around school. He looked like a nice enough kid. Really quiet, always listening to music. Mason didn't think he had ever seen the guy with his headphones off before, so this was a nice change. Granted, the headphones were still there, hanging from his neck... Baby steps. He did get picked on quite a bit, though... Probably not the best thing for the glee club, but Mason was sure that between him and Madison, they'd be able to shape it up nicely.

And the other girl...

Woah. Okay.

Mason had definitely not seen this girl around school. Mason wouldn't forget a girl like in a million years. She was stunning.

Mason never really knew what to make of first impressions. He'd had them been proven wrong before, so he was wary to make judgements. But every thought that came from first seeing this girl was a good one. Never had he hoped that his intuition was right more in his life.

The thing that stood out the most about this girl was her eyes. Not in the cheesy romance novel way, like "wow her eyes were as blue as the ocean", or "golly gee I can't tell what color her eyes are they are so beautiful and intricate". More in a, "her eyes are so expressive, so full of passion, I can see right into her soul" kind of way. They looked nervous, but excited. And suddenly, Mason felt like he had known this girl for centuries, even though he didn't even know her name.

When introductions were made, and Mason learned that her name was Jane, he felt like going all West Side Story and singing it out so the world could hear.

And then Mason heard her sing, and the world shifted a little bit.
Running down the hallways of McKinley with his sister and these two new strangers who for whatever reason, already felt like family, just singing... It was different, it was fun, and Jane Hayward had the most beautiful voice Mason had heard in his entire life.

Maybe Mason was in a bit too deep.

x

He was staring at her. Was it obvious that he was staring at her? He should stop staring at her. Damnit, he couldn't stop staring at her.

Jane looked kind of lonely, sitting by herself at lunch. This was only her second day at McKinely, so it made sense that she wouldn't have made any friends yet. Mason was aching to go sit with her and talk to her, but the Cheerios sitting around him were overwhelming and felt like chains on his ankles.

Madison was rattling on about... God knows what, and every so often nudging Mason with her elbow to prompt a "oh yeah, definitely", or an "I agree". He was grateful, because his mind was everywhere but there today.

"I just think that other Cheerios deserve a chance for top of the pyramid, at least for the regional competition. You agree, don't you Mason?"

Jane was eating a sandwich out of a little plastic container, with the crust cut off and the bread cut diagonally, and Mason decided that it was the single cutest thing he had seen in his entire life. He watched as Jane would lick peanut butter off her lips with the most precise concentration, and wow, he was being borderline creepy now. Just go talk to her.

"I'm going to go say hi to Jane," Mason blurted. Probably the wrong response, but it felt right.

"Mason, what-" Madison hissed under her breath.