The Overpass~Saiouma (Phantom Thief au)

⚠️kind of a song fic
guns
non despair au

*I do not support Brendon Urie's actions in any way, and I listen to lyrics videos so I do not profit him by listening to P!ATD's music*

Shuichi's POV

"Detective Saihara?" A voice rang from the doorway.

I sat up from my papers, startled.

"Uh, yes?" I ask, flustered from the sudden entrance.

"Detective Kyoko Kirigiri would like to speak with you as soon as possible," a man with brown hair and green eyes says.

"Alright, I'll be there right away," I answer.

I pile a few papers together and set them in my top drawer. After retrieving my hat from it's stand, I walk toward my boss' office.

What could she need me for?
Am I getting fired? Oh no
If I'm fired, what am I gonna do with my life?!

Walking up to the woman's door, I knock a total of 3 times and wait for a response.

"Come in Detective," a calm and feminine voice calls.

I slowly turn the handle and peek inside.

"No need to hide Saihara, it's nothing bad," she smiles a bit at me.

"Ah, a-alright then," I walk fully into the room and close the door behind me.

The walls are lined with a very light purple color, almost white. In the middle sat her desk, a nice wooden brown with engravings in the sides. A few things like a small lamp, papers, and a name plate sit among the desktop. There's a large bookshelf behind her that covers the entire back wall, every shelf filled with books. File cabinets sit near both side walls by the corners.

"You wanted to see me Detective Kirigiri?" I check nervously.

"Yes I did. Like I said it's nothing bad, you're not getting fired," she chuckles softly under her breath. I sit down in the chair in front of her desk.

"Anyway, let's get down to business. I called you down here to assign you a new case. One that many detectives have refused already," she folds her hands out on the desk before her.

"What's the case?"

She smirks and leans down to her desk drawers. I hear one of them open and close, followed by rustling paper. The purple haired detective leans back up and slides a folder toward me. The front of the file has the word 'classified' labeled in bold red font.

"The Phantom Thief case," she says finally. My eyes widen.

"T-The Phantom Thief?! The same thief that's been robbing the biggest and most expensive items in Tokyo?!" I ask, getting even more nervous than before.

"Yes, I would like you to take on the case."

I suddenly choke on air a bit before regaining my composure.

"You want me to take on the Phantom Thief case?"

"Yes. Yes I do."

"But I've never taken on something like this before! Forgive me for saying this, but maybe you should reconsider-"

"I've already decided that you would be the best detective here to take this case. Besides, many other detectives I've reached out to have declined. None of them were brave enough to do it, but I believe you can Saihara. It's time you work with something more daring, to get you out on the field more," she explains. I'm left speechless.