☼ ENMU ≫ "PLEASE SHUT UP"

Written by @realityphantom

⌒➴。NOTES:

• Requested by @sugared_wine
• Enmu X Reader
• Gender neutral reader
• Fluff
• No manga spoilers
• 2nd POV

—Human AU; Taishou Period; half request, half prize for a contest; the request called for a male reader, but there is really no specific mentioning here.

"PLEASE SHUT UP"▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

"PLEASE SHUT UP"
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

"Did you know that America's first steam locomotive lost a race to a horse almost one hundred years ago? I wish I was alive to see it, but alas, I will never get the chance to."

All conversations with your boyfriend always led to him rambling, somehow. And it was always about random train facts.

You didn't really complain much, however, as you began to get used to it a few train rides ago. The both of you didn't hop on a train too often, but it was frequent enough to be abnormal, mostly due to Enmu's obsessive love for trains. You didn't complain about that, either, though.

Train rides in mornings like this one felt fresh and renewing. If you just drowned out the sound of your boyfriend to mere background noise, then everything was fine.

Pastel flowers bloomed on a lush green field outside the window. The sky was a light blue and the sun very gently caressed the beauty of the land. It gave a sense of tranquility that was nice to stare at, to say the least.

This morning atmosphere of serenity would've been absolute perfection, but only if the tones running through your ears merely consisted of the sounds of the heavy train tracks and light chatter in the background. But alas, most of those noises were drowned out by the loud vocals of your boyfriend.

Even his own ramblings could turn a breathtaking view into dullness, just due to your pure irritation alone.

"(Y/N)?" Enmu suddenly called to you quite loudly, breaking you from your focus on the outside scenery and internal thoughts. "(Y/NNNN)?"

You wanted to ignore him—you really did—so you tried your best to act like you just couldn't hear him. But Enmu wasn't the type to ever take a hint, was he? He never called your name before during one of his rambles, so why now?

"(Y/N) (Y/N) (Y/NNNNN) can you hear me?" he continued, exponentially louder than before.

If you didn't stop this now, he could eventually just start screaming for you—and you didn't doubt the possibility of that. You also didn't want him to get thrown off the train (again). And, you could already tell that your boyfriend was attracting some stares based on your peripheral vision alone.

"Yeah, yeah—I get it," you passive aggressively shrugged, speaking through gritted teeth so that he would get the hint to be quieter. This was probably the first time in the whole train ride that you actually looked at him. "You love trains more than me," you sarcastically remarked.

"..."

"..."

"Anyways!" Enmu clasped his hands together as he regained his smile. "Fun fact: railroads actually sparked the idea of standardized time zones around the world! Isn't that so cool? I think it's fascinating how trains actually set the world's—"

Oh my God. You could almost face palm as you internally groaned. When will he shut up?

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

"Maybe food will keep him quiet," is what you thought.

But even as a wooden box of tonkatsu and rice was shoved in front of him, he still continued speaking. He was also talking whilst eating—his mouth would be filled with food but he still rambled on about train facts.

You yourself just quietly ate your food. Bamboo shoot tempura was a million times more interesting and more delicious when you were avoiding your boyfriend's words. You chewed as calmly as you could, trying your best to just focus on the scenery outside instead of the slobbering mess that was Enmu's mouth-full of words and food.

This would've all been so nice if perhaps: you were here alone, or if your boyfriend was actually quiet.

The two of you could sit lovingly right next to each other as you enjoyed the morning scenery and the food. It wasn't that you hated trains or train rides—you just hated how little attention he was giving you. In retrospect, he was giving you attention, just the wrong kind.

"And then, railroads were being built all across—"

You've heard this story before; you've heard it every train ride with him. How he has not gotten tired of repeating the same information over and over again left you absolutely bewildered.

You didn't hate Enmu. He was your boyfriend, after all. He still had his good moments as your silly, fun-loving, and also extremely loyal partner.

But train rides with him just heightened all of his annoying qualities. And like the loving and supportive partner you wanted to be, you tried to deal with it for him. Enmu was a loner, and it was obvious he had no one else to share these things with (other than himself, of course—but sometimes he'd just randomly start shouting to himself about trains back home). You wanted to be there for him, but that also meant you'd suffer a sacrifice.

Sacrifice—in this instance—meaning that you'd have to sit here and listen to him talking nonstop for hours.

At least he wouldn't get kicked off the train now that you were here to save his butt.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Written by @realityphantom

┌──────────────┐夢の店└──────────────┘

┌──────────────┐
夢の店
└──────────────┘