Chapter 31

Strong

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice." – Bob Marley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"One more."

I drummed my fingers against my bouncing leg as I gave the nurse a tight smile. She had been poking and prodding my arm for the last ten minutes, withdrawing various blood samples.

As promised, I had shown up at Rush University Cancer Center at 9 am sharp. I was immediately greeted by a group of nurses and doctors, and rushed throughout various locations of the hospital for various tests.

I've had more scans and blood withdrawn in the past hour than I have in my eighteen years on this Earth.

"You're all set sweetie." The nurse gave me a bright smile as she released the elastic band that was tied around my forearm. Fulling the sleeve of my shirt down, I jumped off the examination table and quickly put on my jacket.

The faster I can get the hell out of here, the better.

When I told Caroline and Brooke this morning that I would be coming to school late, they didn't need to ask why. They simply nodded sympathetically, and asked me if I was sure and whether I wanted them to come with me.

Mom had also offered to come with me this morning, but I declined.

This is something I needed to do alone.

The truth is, I still have absolutely no fucking idea if I am sure about this– even as I drove to the hospital this morning I was having doubts. But here I am – I had done it, and all we could do now was wait to see if I was a match.

As I exited the hospital room, I was hoping to be able to make a quick break for it without having to see him, but no such luck.

He was listening intently to a doctor in dark green scrubs that appeared to be explaining something to him and the brunette next to him. She was the first one to notice that I had come out of the room.

"You must be Natalie!" The middle aged woman exclaimed as she rushed over to me, her shoulder length brown hair bouncing with every step. She was wearing a navy blue sweater, and black jeans. She was slender but tall, standing at about 5'7 with a pointy nose. Her dark green eyes sparkled as she pulled me into a tight hug.

I could tell immediately that this was the new Mrs. Dawson.

I couldn't help but grimace as she enveloped me into a hug. I don't like to be hugged on any given day, let alone by a stranger. I didn't know her, and I didn't want to know her either. As far as I'm concerned, she will always be the other woman that kept my father from me.

"That's me." I replied bitterly, pulling away from her. A flash of hurt flashed across her eyes as she went back to stand next to my father.

"Great news Natalie!" My father smiled, as he wrapped his arm around his wife. "The doctor was just telling us that you're a match for Brittany!"

Fantastic.

"Great." I replied, not meeting his eyes. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be helping the girl in any way I can, but there are about a million other things I would rather be doing than getting a huge ass needle stuck in my back.

Perhaps googling bone marrow transplants last night when I couldn't sleep wasn't the best idea.

"I'm Dr. Timothy and I'll be the one performing the procedure." The man wearing green scrubs introduced himself. He looked to be in his late fifties, maybe early sixties, with a prominent bald spot.