Chapter 21

enjoy my darlings ;)

Seraphina Amor

It was bright in the room, the sunlight from outside boring into the open space. I could feel it burning my eyelids as they fluttered at the invasion, slowly drawing me out of my sleep.

The position my body was twisted in was far from comfortable, and I could feel the beginnings of a knot forming in the lower portion of my neck. My shoulder had a strange amount of pressure on it as I shifted around, trying to get rid of it.

My hand raised to rub at my still closed eyelids, getting rid of any sleep that remained in them. I guess somehow last night I had managed to get some sort of rest, however little that may have been.

Slowly blinking my eyes open, they remain squinted as I look around with blurry vision. Through a foggy gaze, my sight locks on the TV that's in front of me and the bookshelves that border it. My brows furrowed in confusion as I sat upwards, recognizing the black table in the center of the room.

I had fallen asleep on the couch, I guess I never made it back to my room last night. .

Breathing deeply, I looked around the room, noticing the empty couch that paralleled the one I was sitting on. Harry had been sitting there last night. We didn't say much after our short conversation, anything either of us had to say died in our throats before we even got the urge to speak our thoughts. It was comforting, in a strange way, it was like having someone else there blocked my mind from wandering, giving me the distraction to focus on anything other than my thoughts. Harry didn't seem to mind it because as far as I could remember, he didn't make any move to leave and retreat back to his room.

He was on edge though, that much I could tell. His body was tense, shoulders stiff, and he would jump in his spot the tiniest bit, trying to play it off as him shifting in his spot. It was a terrible attempt, in my opinion, quite easy to tell he was jittery. Maybe he wasn't telling the truth and was more worried about someone breaking in than he led me to believe. It was weird that he didn't even seem concerned, playing it off and saying it was an occurrence.

Maybe I should tell him to get a new penthouse if his kept getting broken into. Seemed like a pretty logical idea to me.

I've had one or two break ins at my own apartment in New York, but those were by stupid robbers that were trying to get some jewelry or anything that costed a lot of money. None of them just walked into my home and stood there before quickly exiting, that was not normal.

A chill coursed through my body at the eerie wave I had received from the intruder, it was as if they knew me or something. Maybe it was just the sleep deprivation, but I felt this sort of pull towards them that I couldn't even make sense of in my brain.

Shaking the thoughts away, the loud sound of the refrigerator being closed came from the kitchen, and I turned around, looking over my shoulder to see Harry walking around, pulling out various things.

I grinned at the sight, watching as he wandered around, taking out pots and pans and placing them on the counters where he needed them. I still found it weird seeing Harry do normal, mundane things. That was just something I never pictured him doing at all.

He lived alone before, that much was clear, so obviously he had to cook for himself. Something inside me was tugged as I imagined him by himself every night, wordlessly eating his meals alone. I've noticed that even now as I lived in the same penthouse as him, he didn't usually like eating with me. On the rare occasion he would, but usually he would just cook a meal big enough for me and said he would take whatever I didn't.

In some odd way, I understood why he did it. I lived completely alone in the city. Arthur only came during the day and went back home for dinner with his wife. More than once he had tried inviting me over, but I declined each time, making up some lie that I had something to do. There was a sense of comfort in eating alone. There was no way to explain, I didn't understand it but there was no denying that from any outside view it seemed incredibly lonely.