the first time you stay the night

Your heart fluttered when you stared down at Soojin. She was sound asleep with her head on your lap, looking cute and feeling more content than she has felt over the last few busy days.

She fell asleep about halfway through the movie and you didn't have the heart to wake her. However, the credits were beginning to roll and you planned on leaving after this movie was over, since it was getting so late already.

As much as you hated the thought of disturbing her when she's obviously in a deep and peaceful slumber, you knew you had no choice since it was nearing midnight and you needed to get home.

You started to run your hand along her arm and your soft caresses awoke your girlfriend. She opened her eyes and blinked a few times to adjust to the light before she looked up at you.

"Hey, my love. I'm sorry to wake you but the movie is over."

She glanced at the tv and then looked back at you with a frown.

"Oh." She mumbled and sat up so you could scoot forward to the edge of the sofa to reach for your shoes.

She bit down on her lip as she watched you slip on your shoes. Usually, she's understanding about you having to go home. But tonight, there was an ache in her heart as she watched you tie the laces on your shoes as she yearned for your embrace, for you to hold her throughout the night.

"Wait." She mumbled and gently wrapped her fingers around your wrist. "Don't go."

You looked back at her, looking somewhat confused. But there was no mistaking the sparkle in your eyes, too.

"Could you stay tonight?"

"Really?" You wondered and watched her nod your head.

"Yeah. It's getting late and I don't like the thought of you going home this late. Besides, neither of us has anywhere to be tomorrow and I'm sure you'd be coming over. So... you should just stay tonight, with me."

You kicked off your shoes and she couldn't help but smile brightly at the sight.

"Wanna go up to bed then?"

"Actually," she mumbled before she had to stop to yawn. "Could we just stay down here? I'm so tired, I can't make it up the stairs right now."

You nodded and she got ready to lay down, but something about letting her be the small spoon when she's so sleepy made butterflies appear in your chest.

"Wait." You said and quickly stopped her from laying down, so you could lie back against the throw pillows first.

When you were all stretched out and cozy, you patted your shoulder and watched her tired eyes light up.

She lied down with her head on your chest and a soft sigh of contentedness slipped from her lips upon hearing the steady beat of your heart in her ears.

You eyed the blanket over the back of the sofa before you reached for it and covered the both of you up with it. But you made sure she had more of it, wanting her to be as warm and cozy as she could possibly be.

"I'm so happy you stayed."

"Me too, Soojin." You whispered softly as you stared down at her adoringly, feeling your heart flutter as her eyelashes fluttered against her cheeks and she'd crack a smile at the brush of your fingertips on her upper back and the brush of your lips against her head or temple.

"Go to sleep, my sweet girl." You said. "I've got you. Have sweet dreams."

You kissed her forehead softly as she drifted off to sleep, already knowing you'd be in her dreams tonight as she stayed wrapped in your warm and secure embrace.