Chapter 18- Cake Time!

(~Your POV~)

"Come on Sans! You promised!" I excitedly remind him. He smiles at me and then rolls his eyes.

'You aren't defying me, are you?'

"Don't make me come over there and get you myself." I smirk mischievously. Sans gives me a nervous look.

Papyrus is getting all the ingredients we need to make the cake. He cheers, "I think I have everything!" I double check for him, reading the instructions on the box, "Yep! Great job, Pap. We did agree on the confetti cake right? Save the chocolate one for later?" Both skeleton brothers nod.

Sans still hasn't gotten up from his seat, occupied with drawing something in his book. I walk over and pick him up, "I warned you..!" His face glows completely blue as I hold him.

"Y-Y/N!" He squirms, embarrassed. "Too late, you made your decision to wait until the last minute. Now you have to deal with me. How are you so light?" I joke, laughing.

It's not like he weighs as much as a feather or anything, bones are dense so they're heavy. However, he's small. Sans also doesn't have any organs, muscles, or skin to add weight to him.

'It literally feels like holding a child. Pft- Now I understand why Papyrus is comfortable with holding him so much.'

I gaze down at Sans' book. It's only a sketch but it looks like he was drawing a picture of the inside of the cafe. More specifically, a side angle of his seat by the window.

I smirk, "Wow! This looks great and you haven't even finished the sketch yet. Or did you???" Sans is pouting, still embarrassed that I'm holding him.

I tease, "Fine, I'll put ya down. Give me a second." I carry him across the kitchen and put him in between Papyrus and I. "There, are we ready to start?" Sans pulls his hood over his head and shyly nods. I give him a quick pat on the head, "This'll be fun, trust me."

(~Small Time Skip~)

Sans is sitting on the counter, whisking all the ingredients together. I'm busy helping his brother follow the next steps of the recipe. I calmly inform him, "Papyrus all you have to do is lightly grease the pan. Don't worry, It'll be a piece of cake." Sans snorts, holding back a smile. "Y/N this is a pan, not a cake." Papyrus states bluntly.

I smile and shrug, "Never mind. Here, let me show you this time." Papyrus hands the pan to me and I grab my can of baking spray. I add a small layer of baking spray to the pan, this will keep the cake from sticking to the pan while baking. I place the pan on the counter, "Is the oven preheated yet?"

"Batter's done." Sans leans over and places the bowl of batter next to the pan, then he continues, "Yeah, oven's ready."

Papyrus gets so excited to pour the batter into the pan. Then he slips the tray into the oven. I set a timer on my phone, "Now all we have to do is wait."

(~Another Time Skip~)

All three of us are watching a movie. Well, Sans is distracted, working on his drawing again.

'He really wants to get that done, huh?'

The timer on my phone goes off, scaring the heck out of me AND Sans. I nervously laugh, turning it off, "Sorry." I rush into the kitchen and grab some oven mittens. Next step, pulled the cake out of the oven.

'It looks and smells great! Can't wait to try it!'

Sans walks in, most likely from curiosity.

'Now which way do I do this? Carefully or Quickly? Eh.. I guess careful, I don't want to ruin it.'

I grab a butter knife from the silverware drawer and trace it along the sides of the pan, making sure the cake isn't stuck in any way. I quickly flip the pan upside down onto a plate. I firmly tap the bottom a few times until I felt the cake fall onto the plate.

I lift the tray and put it aside, "I present to you, a cake!" Sans smirks, "Looks edible." "You're the one who helped Papyrus make the batter. If it tastes horrible, that's half your fault." I point out. He chuckles, his gaze avoiding me, "Yeah, I did-"

His voice cracks before Sans starts coughing. I worriedly ask him, "You alright?" He nods but it's clear he has to give his voice a break.

'Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that he's actually TALKING. However, he shouldn't be doing it all the time if it discomforts him.'

I run around the fix him a glass of water and then hand it to him, "Does it hurt?" Sans takes a sip of water but shakes his head.

"Are you sure?" I ask, still really concerned. He puts the cup on the counter and flips to a blank page in his book, "Yeah, it's fine." I want to ask him another question but I definitely know it'll make things more awkward.

'Well, I've made things awkward ever since I got here so why not?'

"C-Can I take a look at it? Your neck.." Silence covers the room as Sans stares at me, surprised but also really nervous. I try to comfort him, "I won't touch it, I promise."

He hesitates a lot longer but then sighs and looks to the side. Sans grabs the collar of his shirt and pulls it down a few inches. I see the large cracks, they pretty much cover the right side of his neck. I bite my tongue so I don't do or say anything dumb.

I quietly bend down to his level and check it out. Most of the cracks have scarred over, only having marks of where they once were. Yet, there are much longer and bigger cracks that haven't healed. Some even look like small pieces of his vertebrae were chipped off by whatever caused this. I'm no doctor but I can see a clear impact mark, where most of the damage is. Someone hit Sans with something and they obviously swung with every ounce of strength they had, but it looks like they missed.

'If they would've hit his neck in the dead center, he would've died for sure.'

I look up at Sans, "We could try to find a healer for this. Or maybe we could find a professional doctor that can fill in these larger cracks, like how dentists fill in a cavity." "I don't need it." "Sans, I'm saying this because it can be treated." I say calmly.

"It'll only cause more problems." Sans writes, obviously being stubborn with me. I hug him tightly, speaking low so Papyrus can't overhear, "The only thing causing problems is how much Pap has to worry about you because of it. You're starting to make ME worried too."

. . .

Sans hugs back but I hope he can understand what I'm trying to say. Both brothers care for each other a lot. Papyrus is anxious when Sans isn't doing well, while Sans tries to hide his problems for Pap not to notice them. I didn't have to stay long to see that.

I pull away and slightly laugh, "Enough about that.. Want to help me put icing on the cake...?" Sans nods, looking down at floor.

I smirk, "Alright, hang on." I take him off guard by picking him up again. I stand so I can set him down on the counter. He blushes and writes, "Ya seriously gonna keep doing that?" I smile at him, "It's fun!"

Sans smiles too, "Y'know what else is fun?" I grab a container of icing and concentrate on trying to open it, "Well, it could be a lot of things. What did you have in mind?" It goes quiet, I look up to see Sans wrote something down.

"Making you smile."