Kim Taehyung

I was welcomed to the outside world with a cold wind engulfing me in a hug. I decided to live my few moments of peace not as Kim Taehyung but as Taetae, as my people call me. I decided to take a taxi and meet grandma Dong Shinvoo, I always used to come to her shop in my pre-debut days. She is the queen of Kimchi. I haven't tasted any Kimchi that is tastier than what she makes. Thinking of the food made me dreamy.

I took the taxi and headed towards Seodaemun-gu. A long time has passed since I visited this place. Many things are changed yet it still gives the same lively vibes. I paid the taxi fare and started walking towards my destiny.

I was welcomed to that small shop by the aroma of mouth-watering Kimchi and I ran to the kitchen to savor it. In the kitchen, I found Dong Shin, her grandson, and my very good friend from the olden days.

I went towards him and engulfed him in a tight hug. When I released him from the embrace, I realized that he hadn't recognized me by looking at his surprised facial expressions.

I removed my hat and a mask to which he gasped and closed his mouth with his hands when I gestured him to lower his volume.

" Oh my god!!! Is Kim Taehyung really in front of me? I can't believe my eyes. Welcome to our small shop Sir, what would you like to have at your service." He bowed his head and I rolled my eyes in response.

" Shin, my old friend really doesn't recognize me. When did I become Kim Taehyung to you? As far as I remembered, I was your Taetae."

He wiped his sweat beads shining on his forehead with a tissue and headed towards the other side of the kitchen.

" My friend didn't have time to visit me in these long seven years and now when he is in front of me, I am not sure who is visiting me, is it my old friend Taetae or the megastar Kim Taehyung."

I sighed, if only he knew how much I wanted to meet him. He led me to a secluded spot behind his restaurant. He made me sit on the chair and brought another chair from the kitchen and placed it on the other side of the table. Then he ran inside and brought Kimchi with rice for me and placed it on the table along with soju.

" I wanted to meet grandma first, why isn't she in the kitchen, and how come you are working here. I remember you wanted to join the army."

I was curious about so much change which I witnessed in this small moment.

" Ohh so the curious bird hasn't vanished in the dust of fame."

He chuckled," I'll tell you everything but first have some food, I have made it myself for you, and tell me about yourself, how have you been these days ."

I smiled at his concern. It's been a long time since someone asked me this question.

"Well, life is pretty busy, so much busy that I would have no time to breathe too if it wasn't involuntary," I answered.

" Well, that brings you money and comfort." He said and I hmmed.

" By the way, from when did you become such an awesome cook. I remember you couldn't even make ramen yourself." I laughed.

" After grandma died." He gave me a sad smile.

I wasn't expecting this. I was open-mouthed and my eyes were blurry with tears.

" When and how did this happen?" I asked fighting back my tears.

"Three years have passed. One heavy night a silent heart attack took her away." He responded.

I couldn't believe my ears. For three years I've been oblivious. This time I couldn't stop my tears from falling on my face.

" I am sorry hyung, how can I be so drenched in my own life that I didn't have time to ask about my people. It's a shame to have a friend like me." I choked on my tears.

" It's not your fault, I was the one who couldn't convey you the news on time. I tried to contact you many times but all in vain. Sometimes your bodyguards stopped me, sometimes you were not in Korea and you had changed your mobile number too. So after trying quite a few times, I gave up. I believe grandma didn't want me to tell you. You know you were so dear to her. So you are not at fault, my friend."

I couldn't sit there anymore. How could I face my this friend now after knowing all this?

I got up and hugged Shin for the last time and apologized to him sincerely. What was in my hands except apologizing? He tried his best to comfort me but the air around me was choking me to death.

I literally ran out of the restaurant and the cold wind hit me again but this time it felt as if the air around me was laughing at my situation.