Chapter Forty-Five: Part One

Jordan's grip on my arm was firm when he pulled me back, gaining space between us and Kristen and Rodrigo to create some disclosure. I watched as my pseudo-sister walked hand-in-hand with her boyfriend up the porch steps of the tumultuous, secret-keeping frat house. "You're sure about this?" Jordan asked me. He was trying to pull answers from me, answers that we both knew I could never give him.

 In truth, I wasn't sure about this. I wasn't sure about anything anymore. My vengefulness was what fueled me to conceive such a conniving plan, and I would've normally withstood, had it not been for Harry and our talk today. 

Why was he always so... good? Everything I ever did derived from my own malice. While I devised to stoop to Matt's level, if not lower, Harry offered to quit his job... for me. He would do anything for me.

 I didn't know whether I admired his bravery, or hated his willingness to concede.

There were better solutions to this, sure. But now that I knew Harry would still love me, no matter what wrongdoings I'd commit tonight, I basically had a get-out-of-hell-free card. His love for me would overrule all else, and it would keep us together through anything. I replayed his confession in my head several times, trying to convince myself that, after all this, everything would be okay, even if I knew it wouldn't be.

  "I know enough, and I know that I love you. I know that nothing you've done or said will ever change that. I know that I love you regardless of how many times you push me away, or hurt me,"

He was stupid enough to love me, and I'd be stupid enough not to love him back.

"I never walk into a war I'm not prepared for," I surmised. I avoided the eye contact he was desperately trying to make with me, and instead decided it best to inspect the familiar battlefront, painted white and booming with music, that I was about to enter. "That's what I like to hear," he spoke, his curt hand placing itself on my back as he led me up the stairs. Jordan slipped through the cracks of people, going along with our well-rehearsed plan. I walked in the opposite direction, trying to go along with what we had practiced. Jordan, Kris, Rodrigo and I split up and try to find the evidence before 10 P.M., I confront Matt with said evidence, and we're all home safe. It was supposed to be a simple case of blackmailing a blackmailer in exchange for mutual silence, but there was one lingering issue: Could either of us find the evidence in time? 

 With each step I took inside the house, Harry's voice took charge of my mind, halting my other thoughts and my body.

"Don't do this, Logan," he'd say. "There are better ways to go about this. Don't stoop to his-"

"To his level?" I'd say in reply, adding a pitiful laugh. He always saw the good in me. Most times it gave me hope, but on nights like this, nights that depended solely on my immorality, I couldn't bear to hear it. "I've already been there, in fact, there have probably been times where I've stooped lower,"

"But that's all in the past. Don't let all the bad things you've done in the past convince you that you'll get away with whatever you're doing tonight. Some battles you just can't win,"

"Like hell I can't," I'd seethe, using my shoulder to shove him out of my way. My heartstrings would pull me aback, terminating my will to leave. "Listen to me, Logan," Harry would call from behind. He had a plan, and I knew it well. It worked every damn time he used it. "I love you," he'd breathe, his chilling words crawling up my back as I dared not face him. "I love you more than anything. I love you so much I'd quit my job for you. I'll quit, that's what I'll do. Then we'll both be safe from the repercussions of whatever that photo entails,"