Chapter Twenty-Seven

Kristen and I both heading our separate ways for spring break had to be the most nerve-wracking moment of my college career. Well, make that second. Harry and I going off to England for a whole week was undoubtedly more nerve-wracking. Okay, that was a lie. Picture-gate proved to be the most nerve-wracking experience thus far. That made Kristen and I separating #3 on Logan's most nerve-wracking moments.

Although we were two paths diverging, we both had to get to the airport. Kristen and I shoveled our suitcases into the trunk of her car, avoiding puddles of water within the cracks of the pavement. Rain tumbled down the windows of the car as we drove, and I couldn't draw my focus away from the chartreuse pine that passed as a blur. The sky painted itself a dull gray, my face matching the atmosphere's same lack of enthusiasm as soon as Kristen turned down the radio, looking at me with a face of disclosure. "Has anyone ever told you how shitty your playlist is?" I laughed, ignoring her seriousness. "I'm driving so I get the aux cord. Suck it," she teased momentarily, just before the previous harsh look on her face returned. It was a look that screamed of motherly lectures, and I rolled my eyes at the upcoming conversation. "What happens if you and Harry fight on the trip?" she asked, sternly awaiting my answer.

"Don't all people fight? We'll work it out. Always do,"

"From what I took from your confession last weekend, it seems like you both fight. A lot. More than most people. Not to mention it takes you both a minimum of five days to finally come to your senses and apologize," she giggled a little at the absurdness of my relationship, and continued, "If you fuck up or if he fucks up, you know you can't just walk away, right? You'll be in a whole other country. You could get lost or kidnapped, or even Eiffel-towered,"

"I'm not really a ménage à trois kind of girl,"

"Logan!"

"Harry and I aren't going to fight. We've moved past that whole phase in our relationship,"

"Oh honey," she sighed pitifully, her eyes wide as she admired my innocence. "Couples fight all the time; It's not a phase. It's something you never move past."

I tried to mask my confusion by returning my gaze back to the window. My parents never fought, at least not that I could remember. I never fought with any of my 'boyfriends', I never even fought with Matt when we were together. In fact, Matt was usually so drunk or high he'd go along with whatever I said or did. Either was extremely submissive, or I was extremely manipulative. It was probably both. 

Was it immature of me to assume that people don't move past the constant bickering and find some common ground? Was that impractical? I decided my lack of experience had no right to answer that question. Kris noticed my distilled silence and added, "So just... try to get along, okay? I don't want you doing anything stupid,"

"Me, do something stupid? I'd never,"

She snorted at my joke and continued to drive along the wet road, turning up her shitty playlist and making me groan.

After Kristen departed with Rodrigo, I sat alone in the airport, drinking overpriced Starbucks coffee and waiting for our plane to arrive. Harry and I agreed that, to avoid us being seen together, we'd both show up at different times. My legs fidgeted underneath the stiff boarding area seats in anticipation as I checked the time. I wanted to pull out my phone and text Harry, but later decided against it. I didn't want him thinking he was that important to me, after all. It was petty of me but, as I've said many times before, tigers don't change their stripes.