Chapter 3: This is NOT a date

"But wait a second.." I finally looked up at him. "You really thought I was engaged? I was 21- 22 years old in college. Who gets engaged at such a young age?

"I dont know? People like you?

I mean if I was dating someone like you, I would want to hold you down and get engaged too, as soon as possible"

"What?"

"What?"

Tine's POV

"What do you mean Sarawat?"

"I mean... WHY WOULD YOU WEAR THAT RING ON YOUR RING FINGER? It confuses people makes them think you are engaged to someone else! You could have just worn it in any of your other fingers you know"

"I wear it on my ring finger because that's where the ring fits perfectly. And who am I even confusing here. Also, why are you yelling over my ring?"

"Because this ring gave me a scar and I am mad about that okay? You have to take responsibility for me now."

"Excuse me? Responsibility for what?"

"You punched me and that damn ring is the reason I still have this scar on my cheek."

That's when I felt a big pang of guilt in my stomach, remembering that day on the football field. That was the one and the only time I had hit someone, and I had always regretted it in my heart. No matter what I told others in college, no matter what I told himself — The fact is, I felt incredibly guilty deep down.

When I punched Sarawat, my anger and jealousy got the best of me. I only realised what I had done when Sarawat's cheek started bleeding. Of course I knew the wound could scar. I even left a box of first aid in front of Sarawat's dorm, with no note of course. I had too much guilt and too much ego to apologise back then. My heart was broken into pieces and I had no idea what to do about it, so I did the only thing I could do — I punched him, hoping it would make me feel at least a little bit better, but it never did. Instead, it only made me feel weird.

"It really left a scar, huh?"

"Here, on the side of my cheek." Sarawat pointed it and I moved closer to him, across the table to take a better look.

But looking at the scar made me feel even more guilty. It scarred worse than I thought it would. Like a reflex, I moved my hand over Sarawat's cheek, rubbing the scar with my thumb, hoping it would erase my past mistake.

"I am so, so sorry Sarawat, I don't know what got into me and—" I looked into Sarawat's eyes only to realise Sarawat was already staring at me. Only to realise, I was so close to him, I could feel his breath on him.

Startled by the proximity, I tried to move away but Sarawat held my hand to pull me even more closer. "Are you sorry to see the scar or are you sorry about hitting me?"

"I am sorry for hitting you. I shouldn't have punched you that day. I have always regretted that. If I could take it all back, I would. My anger got the best of me and — I am just really sorry. You didn't deserve it."

"I will forgive you, but on one condition.." Sarawat whispered.

"What? Whatever you want..."

"Kiss my scar everyday for the rest of my life."

"SARAWAT!!" I pulled away from him angrily. "I was seriously apologising to you. Why do you have to joke everytime?"

"Who said I was joking?" He smirked. "You know Tine, I am surprised to see the usually proud former Student Body President finally apologizing to the wronged Football Captain. I wish I could gather all the old classmates and make them watch this historic moment. Are you finally admitting that you wrongfully accused me of stealing club funds?"