Chapter 24: You can't get rid of me

Sarawat's POV

When my phone buzzed, I walked out of the hospital room, and closed the door behind me. Standing in the hospital corridor, still looking at Tine lying unconscious on the bed through glass windows, I picked up the phone.

"Hey Mom." I whispered.

"Wat, where are you? We are waiting for you for dinner"

"Mom.." I sighed. "I don't think I can make it to dinner."

"Oh. Still at the office?"

"Ah, No. Mom, you remember Tine, right? The person I told you about?"

"Yes the boy you sneaked out of the house yesterday instead of letting me meet him. Are you having dinner with him instead?"

"No, mom." I took a deep breath. "Tine isn't well. I am in the hospital with him. I don't think I can come for dinner."

"Oh god, what happened?"

"His fever was running too high and he fainted. The doctors are running tests. But for now, he needs to stay here tonight."

"Did the doctors tell you what happened?"

I gritted my teeth remembering the conversation. "Tine had some cold and fever, which worsened because he didn't take any medicines. His blood sugar was also really low when we got here, probably because he hadn't eaten much.

"Heaven forbid. Why has this boy not been eating?"

"I—I am not sure. He was fine till he was with me, but I talked to Tine's assistant and she said Tine has been sick since yesterday."

"Yesterday? Wat, I told you to invite him for breakfast yesterday — That poor boy left the house on an empty stomach. I should have never let you talk me into letting him go. God, I feel so bad now."

"I feel worse, mom. May be you are right. May be, I shouldn't have let him go yesterday."

"No, baby, that's not what I meant. Its not your fault. God, what is even happening? First Phukong slips in the house. Then you bring Tine and that poor boy gets sick. I should get a priest to cleanse the house. May be there is too much negativity here."

"Mom, the house is fine. Don't overthink."

"No, its not. I am going to ask our priest to come in first thing tomorrow." She sighed. "Is Tine's family there too with you?"

"Ah no. They live a few hours away from the city. I don't think they even know about this — considering Tine didn't even care to tell me he was sick."

"Wat, I think you should tell his family. They must be so worried."

"I--I don't know. I have never talked to them. I don't even think Tine has told them about me."

"You should still inform them, Wat. I'd want to be informed if something happened to you."

"I know — you are right. I'll search for his mom's number in his phone and call her myself if Tine does not wake up in the next hour."

"Good, tell me if you need any help. What hospital are you in?"

"St Josephs."

"The hospital near your father's office, right? Should I give the director there a call? I am close with his wife."

"No mom, I should be okay. But I'll let you know if I need any help. How is Phukong doing?"

"He is doing better, roaming around the house in his noisy wheelchair."