Chapter 3 - Moonlight Moonshine

Cheers rose from the boys as they all took a sip of whatever they used as cups

Cheers rose from the boys as they all took a sip of whatever they used as cups. It was a mix of mason jars, jugs and some of the runners had actual water sacks. My eyes drifted over to Fiona, realizing how contagious her happiness was. She stuck her finger in her mason jar to get a little liquid on it before terrorizing Gally by putting it in his ear. Everyone laughed as Gally swore, and it was the first time I saw Gally's reaction be anything but anger.

"Watch your eyes, Tommy," Newt warned as I found my seat next to him again. "Remember Gally's rules."

I tried to catch my breath from all the frolicking around, "What's up with that anyway?"

Newt chuckled, taking a sip of his moonshine, "No one touches Fi." As I glanced back over to her carried on explaining. "Gally was the 9th out here. Blue was the tenth, he developed this protective thing for her. He took her under his wing. He taught her everything he learned in the month before and he almost got her a job with builders until her drawing talents were recognized. She's the keeper of the map makers now. And the only one. She evaluates each change in the maze that the runners tell her about. She has this model that I'm sure if you asked her about she'll never slim it about it."

"And what about you two?" I asked next, making him.

"What about us?" Newt sipped from his jar, keeping his eyesight forward looking at me. "When she's not being a pain in the arse, she's locked herself in the map room. That's the only time there's peace in the camp. She's the smartest out of all of us. But don't tell her I said that."

"She doesn't seem that bad." I tried to defend her, the girl sat peacefully by the fire.

He scoffed, "Don't let the doe eyes confuse you, mate, Blue's out of your league."

"What's up with that? The nickname, I've only heard you and Gally call her Blue." I investigated.

He sighed, "Real observant, aren't ya?"

"I'm taking in all the information I can." I backed down, holding my hand out for another sip from his mason jar.

"Alby was the first to survive the month. He found five bodies when he got here. I came up next, followed by George and Gally. Now typically when someone comes up in the box, one of two things happen. They run, like you, or they cry in the corner. Blue hid behind one of the boxes. When Gally got close enough, she punched him right in the face. She fought Alby right after and bounced on George. In a minute the whole lot of us had some sort of bruise on us. She left a blue and purple mark on all of us. Around the second day, she still hadn't figured out her name. She kept getting all jacked up that we were calling her greenie so she begged us for a different name. I decided to tease her as blue instead. She got her name seven days later, the longest wait of all of us, but by then the name had already stuck." He grinned at his memory.

"Is that why she hates you?"

"That's a different story that we don't have time to get into." He answer me as rose to his feet, before returning to the original topic. "Only the four of us call her that though. So stick with Fi or Fiona. Come on, I'll give you the official tour."