Chapter 41 - I Was Out, Making Moves

Newt and I were up the latest last night

Newt and I were up the latest last night. By the time he had read me a few stories from the book, everyone else was asleep. That was the first night I slept without thinking I was completely alone.

The dust storms hit the hardest the next day. It blew sand in our faces, clothes, and everything else for over two hours straight. Every time I made the decision to lift my head up I paid for it by trying to fish sand particles out of my eye for the next ten minutes.

"I shucking hate sand," I shouted over the wind, holding onto the sweatshirt hood for dear life.

When the storm finally broke, I took all my belongings out of my bag to shake all the soil out. I put my knee on the journal, making sure no pictures got loose and got caught in a gust of wind. I would never get it back once it hit the sand. Aris helped me put everything back in and then helped me up.

I glanced around, checking to make sure we didn't lose anyone. I found Newt's eyes already on me. He looked away quickly, trying to hide it by looking into the horizon. His face changed from an embarrassed blush to a narrowed squint. "I see something."

"What is it? What... You see that?" Thomas tried to follow.

Newt pointed slightly to the left of us, "It's lights. We made it."

Just then the roll of thunder introduced itself, absorbing any joy we had. We were close but not finished yet.

"We gotta go." I strongly encouraged, sliding my backpack on and starting to run. The storm was moving fast and if we didn't at least match its speed, WCKD or the monster people wouldn't be a problem.

The storm only continued to grow, with each lightning strike I swear I felt the energy get closer. Then the strikes started coming more frequently, landing in front of us as well.

I heard Teresa scream, as a bolt touched the vehicle next to her. She jumped away and kept running, faster than before. The mountain lights in the base of the mountain were not far now, It looked like some kind of warehouse in the falling light.

"Keep moving! Come on!" Thomas yelled, running frantically.

I was the first one to the door, holding it open for everyone to pile in.

Minho and Thomas were the last ones, running behind everyone to make sure no one got left behind.

I heard the rumble right above our heads and immediately knew what would follow. "Run, Tommy! Minho!"

The light came cutting through the air and straight into Minho. I yelped, seeing his body twist without life into the ground. My immediate reaction was to run back out, but someone caught me before I could.

"No!" Newt ordered over the storm. He pulled back to Frypan. "Keep her here, Aris, come with me!"

I wasn't even allowed to fight it before he returned to the deadly storm. I tried to run after him but Fry stood in front of the door. My only option was to watch.