Chapter 24 - Griever Massacre, Part 2

Gally and I rushed to the lowest part of the homestead

Gally and I rushed to the lowest part of the homestead. The weaponry was located in the basement of the original structure that was here. Only Keepers had access to it, which no one really knew because we never talked about it but with other Keepers. It was a last resort.

Now we emptied the entire thing, putting spears, machete's and knives into whoever's hand was out. Brandon took a buddle, going to disperse them through camp. I tucked two knives into my waistband and then held a spear in my hand. I ran up the stairs. With Gally unhappily yelling for me to say in his sight. I found my map room, I slung my backpack off, throwing it down in the dirt at my feet. Using both hands I start ripping all the pictures off the wall.  I jumped to get the highest ones, as I heard Gally's voice scream my name again. I put them in the middle of one of my notebooks, folding them all into there before shoving it in my bag too.

The most important object lay on the circular table, the metal griever key. I reach out to grab it. The crushing sound seemed to come after the attack. A Grievers tail went straight through the ceiling into my model. Debris fell everywhere, I put my hands over my head to avoid any head trauma. The screams in my throat reminded me to run, I dove for the device as the griever tried to strike again. I rolled out the door. A second before I could even process Clint and Jeff were on either side of me, pulling me along down the hall to the exit. That's when I first smelt the smoke.

Gally was red in the face from giving out a million orders left and right, Frypan stood next to him. I found my bearings to run on my own now. I pulled Gally's shirt, my only goal was to get him out of the Homestead before it went up in flames. I saw Jeff and Clint turn back around, Frypan going with them, I shouted for them to stop. But Gally had already had a plan for us and two builders I noticed. No medical supplies were worth risking your life over.

We stumbled out into the gas. We were left with the only choice we had at that point. We were all runners now. Gally led us towards the open field, and part of me wondered if he was trying to get us all killed until I realized he was running at the box. I picked up my pace, pulling the door open and letting them all in.

I came to the conclusion now, right in the moment of my most important choice. Fry, Jeff and Clint didn't go back for medical resources. They went back for Alby.

Gally held out his arm, ready to help me in. If I thought I had seen Gally mad, it was nothing compared to what I was going to do next. I threw my backpack in, with all the details or the maze and everyone in it. If there was a key to getting out, it was in the bag with the metal griever key. I slammed the doors down, taking one of the knives out from my belt, sliding it in place of a lock.

Gally smacked the metal grates. "Fiona! Fiona! Don't you dare! Fiona! Get in her right now!"

"I can't, Gal." I gripped the spear a little tighter, looking around for the nearest griever. "It's my job to get them out."

"No!" He screamed, punching the grates now. "Fiona, stop! Get your ass in here!"

I couldn't stay, I had to run. I had to believe that I made the right choice. The homestead was a ball of fire by now, I found Frypan and Jeff outside.