Chapter 16 - New Runners, Old Habits

Every part of me wanted to remember

Every part of me wanted to remember. I wanted to remember how this girl knew me, what my life was before this, and how I was important enough to know. Gally officially wants me dead and I'm afraid if he wanted it bad enough not even Fi or Newt could stop him.

"Jeff, what's going on? What's the matter with her?" Newt asked, looking down at the first girl we've seen since Fiona.

I couldn't read Fiona's feelings about it, "Is she going to wake up?

"Hey man, I got my job the same way you did," Jeff replied which gave me a sense that he was out of this league.

I stared down at the girl, trying to find something I knew. I wish I had any answers to the millions of questions everyone had. Maybe I could be helpful instead of annoying.

Newt noticed my focused gaze, "Do you recognize her?"

"No," I told him honestly.

He was quick to come back with a frustrated comment, "Really? Because she seemed to recognize you."

"What about the note?" I changed the topic.

"We'll worry about the note later." Newt brushed it off with all his attention on the girl who was too unconscious to be of any help.

I shook my head, "I think you should worry about it now."

"We've got enough to deal with at the moment." Newt insisted.

"He's right, Newt." Jeff added, "If the Box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?"

"No one said that." Newt backed tracked. "We'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows."

I would have thought Fi would have said something by now. I caught her taking a quick glance at Newt, seeing him nervously run his finger across his mouth. She chose not to say anything. As much as I wanted to believe she and Newt never got along, she seems to know him the best out of all of us. She knew when his mind was made up. She took this stale in conversation to leave, not a single word of goodbye either.

"Somebody has gotta have some answers around here," I mumbled, more intentionally in my head than out loud.

I went out the same way Fi did. For some reason, I always felt the pull to trust her, and not because I was almost sure she was the smartest person in camp or a girl. She always had something else brewing in her head. She didn't just have plans A and B, she had plans A through K.

"Where are you going?" Minho was the first to stop me. I was going to follow Fi to discover what she was going to do next but I turned to answer him.

"Back into the maze," I answered, which made him pull me back to get me to stop.

He narrowed his eyes at me, still holding my forearms like I was going to run off, "Hey, Thomas. What is this with you, huh? A death wish? You just got out and now you want back in?"