Chapter 42 - Just Hanging Out with the Boys

The feeling of all your blood rushing to your head was something I could have gone through my whole life without ever knowing

The feeling of all your blood rushing to your head was something I could have gone through my whole life without ever knowing. After ten minutes of hanging here, my brain struggled to think through all the blood.

They chained us up by our ankles. Face first into a hole that would surely kill us if we dropped.

"Did I have a fear of heights?" Fi asked no one in particular.

"I don't know," I answered, our main fear in the maze was grievers, not heights.

"Well, I do now." She countered, trying to look anywhere but down. She held onto her bag tightly across her chest, not willing to let it fall.

"Good plan, Thomas. 'Just hear what the man has to say.' Really working out for us." Minho taunted him, annoyance lacing his words

"Shut up, Minho." He fired back, obviously not pleased with the situation either.

"Why do you guys follow him anyway?" Fi asked more curiously than judgmentally. "I mean, so far all the stories say that he basically dies every time he tries something new."

"She has a point," Aris added.

"Gally would be so proud." Frypan idled with a smile, making me turn soft at his memory. His strong dislike for Thomas might have been extreme but it didn't come without its qualities. Tommy, unfortunately, has the tendency to be a dumbass sometimes.

"Hey you, yeah you," Fi got the attention of Jorge as he walked up and started watching us without a word. "As much as I love to be a glorified pinata, I think you should let us down before I find my way down and gouge your eyeballs out."

"There she is!" Fry cheered. "My favorite girl is coming back."

"Hey!" Teresa shouted.

Fi completely ignored her, as anyone would. Fi and Teresa didn't even compare. She wouldn't even waste her time dealing with her.

"What the hell do you want?" Thomas is the first to spit at Jorge.

"That is the question. My men want to sell you back to WCKD. Life has taught them to think small." He admitted to us, making me more intrigued on why. "I'm not like that. Something tells me that you're not either."

"Is the blood rushing to my head or is this shank not making any sense?" Minho questioned us.

"Tell me what you know about the Right Arm." He requested.

I narrowed my eyes to study him, "I thought you said they were ghosts."

He walked around, keeping an eye on me as I slowly started to turn. "I happen to believe in ghosts. Especially when I hear them chattering on the airwaves. You tell me what you know, and maybe we can make a deal."

"We don't know much." Thomas provided no real answer with that, which only annoyed Jorge as he walked over to a lever. My eyes followed a system of ropes and chains that connected to the lever. A yelp boiled up into my throat before he even pulled it. We dropped about a foot, though it might not have seemed like a lot. The jump of my organs suddenly getting thrown around was enough to scare us.