Chapter 20 - Trusting the Untrusted

I had become a regular with the medjacks

I had become a regular with the medjacks. Everyday they investigated my bruises, poke and prodded at me until they told me I was alright to leave. So everyday I heard the same things, all their little mumbles on my lack of sleep, running the maze again and then more about how I needed rest and relaxation to heal properly. And everyday I took their advice and then promptly ignored it. The maze didn't stop for a few sore ribs and I couldn't afford to either.

I stopped in Alby's room on my way past, seeing Minho, Newt, Thomas and the new girl all staring down at him.

"What's going on?" I questioned them, feeling some kind of invasion of privacy. The only thing Alby hated more than people standing around instead of working was doing it around him. If he could speak for himself, he would probably be yelling at us.

"The greenie found something new in her pocket." Newt fills me in, handing me a syringe filled with something blue and sticky looking.

I held it up to the light, trying to uncover something about it, "What do you think it is?"

Newt anticipated my question, branching off it, "What's exactly my point, we don't even know what this stuff is. We don't know who sent it. Or why it came up here with you. For all we know, this thing could kill him."

"He's already dying. Look at him. How could this possibly make it any worse?" Thomas fought, seeing Alby's condition grow worse by the second. "Come on, it's worth a try."

"I don't trust anything with a WCKD label on it, but it would be idiotic to have a illness without a cure. If they created the grievers, they also created the sting. Whatever this is, it's beyond anything we can make. I'm not saying we should trust them, but I also don't see any other option." I fought in the hopes of saving Alby.

"Do it." Newt gave the green light.

"Okay." Thomas prepared for the injection, holding Alby's arm down.

Second before the needle broke his skin, Alby jumped. His jaw tightened in a lowly growl, "You shouldn't be here! You shouldn't be here!"

"Alby!" I yelled, trying to hold him down, I grabbed one shoulder and Newt held down the other. Jeff came to my side, forcing his chest as he jerked in all directions.

"Watch out!" Newt yelled, seeing Alby try to bite at me, the suddened resemblance to Ben hit me hard.

"Get the syringe! Let go!" I yelled, my grip struggling to keep up with Alby's uncontainable strength.

While we all panicked, the greenie girl was the one to find the syringe, forcefully slamming it into Alby's bicep. The little blue liquid entered his body, instantly calming him down.

For the first few seconds, heavy breathes were the only thing that filled the room. I gasped, holding my hand out to the girl, "Well, that did... something. I'm Fiona, by the way."