Chapter 32 - Just Let Me Sleep

"I got top bunk

"I got top bunk." Winston called out.

"Too slow." Minho tensed, launched himself into the tallest bed.

Fry leaned back on the mattress with his eyes shut. "I get used to this."

"Hey, what do you think Janson wants with Fi?" Winston asked from his now middle bunk.

Thomas's brows were narrowed like he was thinking too hard. "And Teresa. I have barely seen her since we got here."

"Now, if there's one thing I know about  those girls, they can take care of themselves." I smiled. Though I did miss Fi, her situation made her special. I had to trust that the girls just needed big more attention to their health. Or a psych evaluation for all their time spent with just boys.

"Don't worry about it? What's your solution?" Thomas questioned.

"I trust Fi, okay? She's the smartest of all of us."

That night, we all went to sleep. Most of us all had nightmares of the maze or grievers or watching our friends die. It wasn't until morning that I found out Thomas had left.

--

Alice. Barry. Walt. Edgar.

"I wanna know what's through that door."

Thomas was of course going on and on about his crazy adventure last night that seemed too fictional to be considered anything other than a night terror.

Samantha. Aaron.

"Now, we've been over this. You said they were covered up, so you don't know what you saw." Honestly, I worry that a week in the maze might have jacked Thomas up in the head. His body never turned off the need to fight. Or maybe this is how he is coping with Chuck's death.

Dennis.

"It could've been anything under there." I tried to reason with him.

"I know exactly what I saw. They were bodies." He wasn't bulging on the topic. "Aris said they bring in a new batch every night.

Who the hell is Aris?" Minho takes the question right out of my mouth.

Thomas points over to the kid who was in the maze with only girls. (Reason enough to go insane.) He was inspecting the cornbread we were given for breakfast. Holding it up and looking at it in different lights.

"Well, I'm sold," Minho commented sarcastically.

And last but not least, David. Thank you for your attention. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

I tried to find a plan that will compromise for everyone. Even if I told Thomas to stop with his crazy investigation, he wouldn't. "Okay, until we know anything for certain, we should just keep our heads down... and try not to draw any attention to ourselves, all right?"

Instead of agreeing and being a team player, Thomas stood up, walking straight towards the door where everyone was exiting from. "What is he doing?"

"I think he's drawing attention to himself," Fry answered with the obvious. And for the first time I noticed he wasn't looking at Janson, Fiona stood on the other side of the glass. Talking to one of the few kids who were chosen from the cafeteria.

The guard grabbed him by the shoulder. "Hang on. You weren't called."

"I know, I'm just gonna be a second."

He shook his head, "This is a restricted area, kid."

"I just wanna see my friend, Fiona, she's right there. Can you let me through?" It wasn't much of a question as he continued trying to push his way to her.

He threw Thomas backward, "Get your ass back in that chair. Just remember, you are always being monitored. Breaking the rules..."

"What's your problem, man? What the hell, huh?" Thomas yelled. The first time he caught Fiona's gaze, she looked alarmed. Thomas punched the glass and she looked scared. If she was endangered she would have told us right now. Instead, she chose to stay on that side of the glass. I knew she was fine. "Why won't you let me see her? But not until "What's wrong with her?"

"Control your friend!" The guard orders the numerous boys behind.

"What's happening here? Thomas? I thought we could trust each other. You know we're all on the same team here." Janson attempted to calm him. Now all I could do was hope he wouldn't say something stupid.

"Are we?" I saw the look in his eye. When I questioned his trust he didn't seem betrayed or saddened. He turned to his guards, ordered, prepared, and solid.

Janson looked over my friends before coming back to me, his facial expression hardened. "Get them to their bunks."

We were all but airlifted back to our room. Thrown in a locked room like prisoners. I was really getting tired of being locked behind cement doors. I turned to Thomas, noticing the red in his face as his eyes set fire to the door.

"What the hell was that about? You didn't really think they were just gonna let you through?" I spit.

"Nah, of course, I didn't." He held up the blue key card. "I'm gonna find out what's on the other side of that door."

I rolled my eyes, "Right."

"Newt, they're hiding something. Okay?" He pushed, "These people are not who they say they are."

"No, Thomas, you don't know that!" I shouted, "The only thing that we do know is that they helped rescue us from WCKD. They gave us new clothes. They gave us food. They gave us a proper bed. I could sleep last night knowing that none of my friends would die in the maze today. Some of us haven't had that in a long time."

"Yeah, but..." He started.

"Some of us are a lot longer than others."

"What about Fi? We haven't spoken to her in days. Same with Teresa. You don't find that a little suspicious?"

"We finally got somewhere that is safe. We just saw Fi, if she needed our help she would have run past the guards when they were distracted with you. I trust Fi. This isn't the maze, Tommy. You can stop running."

The vent grate shot out from underneath the lowest bunk, a small head popping out with it. "Hey, Thomas."

"What the..."

"You got it, didn't you?" The random boy asked.

"Yeah. Let's go." Thomas nodded. His mind was already made up. "All right, look, maybe you guys are right. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I got to find out for sure. Just cover for me. I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Think about this. If you get caught breaking the trust of the people who have saved us, how do you think they are gonna react? They will kick us all out. You're putting all of us in danger."

"I think we're already in danger," Thomas told me before sliding into the grate.

--

WE'RE BACK BITCHES. ONE UPLOAD A DAY UNTIL CHRISTMAS. MERRY CHRISTMAS. FUCK COLLEGE FOR NOT LETTING ME WRITE AS MUCH ANYMORE.

LOVE YOU. BYE. B