Chapter 24

To bring awareness to what is going on in America, there has been an extremely high uprise in Asian hate ever since the beginning of Covid-19. Many lives have been lost and many have been severely injured due to racism. I, as a black African-American stand alongside my Asian brothers and sisters. I stand to make a change in any way I can and I want you to know that you are not alone. If you are not Asian and want to let our Asian brothers and sisters know that we stand alongside them during these tough times, please leave a '🦋' in the comment section. Thank you, have a blessed day.💙

🦋Positive people have negative thoughts, they just don't let those thoughts grow and destroy them. Stop doubting yourself. Work hard and make it happen🦋

"Hello?"

"Hey, I wanted to talk to you," you mumbled.

"Go ahead and ask."

"Ray..."

"Hmm..." you heard him say softly making your skin shiver slightly. He most likely had a long day for him to sound this tired.

"How are you?" You asked calmly. But little did he know you were stiffed sitting on your bed grinning him of your t-shirt, bit the inside of your cheek, and scrunching up your toes. To put it shortly, you were beyond nervous.

Why did it felt more intimidating when you were on the phone?

Was it because you and he can only hear each other's voices which left you to imagine how the both of you look at the moment. Only to guess how the both of you would react to certain things? That your voice will crack and it will leave you in embarrassment because your voice didn't know what direction and pitch it would like to stay at?!

Your wondering and scrambling thoughts were cut short when you heard him cleared his throat.

"I'm alright... How about yourself?" He asked.

"I'm doing fine, I guess..."

"You don't sound sure. Is it because of the promotion I gave you?"

You shifted slightly, raising your body high enough for you to move your covers and covering yourself back up with the comfort of your covers.

"No... that's not it. Honestly, I don't know how to feel about that yet. It's a big role if I think about it. I have to ensure that meetings are effectively organized and minuted. Maintain effective records and administration and blah blah blah," you mumbled raking your hands through your hair.

"To be honest, I think that's why Conny was our late partying getting drunk, she had to release some stress especially when it comes to you..." You stopped mid-sentence when you realized what you said. Your mouth and eyes were wide enough that you could form three black holes on earth ruling it apart and sucking it in into a deep dark void.

"Oh my gosh, I didn't mean it in a bad way. It's just, sometimes I get carried away. I need to think before I speak sometimes. But sometimes it just can't be helped... it slips out on its own sometimes," you mumbled bashfully.

"I'm sorry..." you said softly.

You heard silence on the other line before you heard a breathy chuckle.