⚊ xxxi. the art of being broken.

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄;
THE ART OF BEING BROKEN

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄;THE ART OF BEING BROKEN

— REESE LOGAN KNEW SHE was broken; she didn't mean slightly splintered, no, she knew that she was completely shattered

— REESE LOGAN KNEW SHE was broken; she didn't mean slightly splintered, no, she knew that she was completely shattered. An unrecognizable mess of her past self, a shell of the girl she was before. And yet, miraculously enough, as she clung to her siblings like they were her lifeline to humanity, Reese could feel the shards of her fragmented soul begin to piece themselves back together. The longer she held Annmarie and Taylor in her grasp — further proving that this wasn't a dream, but reality — the stronger she began to feel. 

She didn't know how long she'd been there, kneeling on the hard tiles of the kitchen floor, with Annmarie clinging to her neck tightly, the little girl refusing to let go — almost as if she feared that if she released Reese for more than a second her big sister would disappear again — and Taylor wrapped into her side, snuggling into her warm parka, but Reese was sure that no amount of time was enough. Nothing else mattered to her in that moment; not Emmett who lingered a few steps behind her, and not Elizabeth who watched the reunion with teary eyes. Reese could only focus on the two little things in her arms, on the small children who she loved more than anything in the world. 

But this, much like every other good thing in her life, came to an abrupt end when a familiar scent hit her like a punch to the face. Reese stiffened, her body going rigid, as all of the joy that had been flooding through her veins began to sour. Annmarie lifted her head from the crook of Reese's neck, feeling the change in her sister. She blinked her big doe eyes at Reese, clearly confused by her reaction. Even Taylor, nearly asleep in Reese's lap, stared up at her, waiting for an explanation. Reese tried to make her body relax, to soothe her siblings, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't keep the irritation at bay. Reese grit her teeth, angry that this moment had been ruined for her, and slowly untangled herself from Annmarie and Taylor's tight grips. She rose from the floor, her golden green eyes scanning the house for the source of her mood change, and she found it after only a moment.

Flynn O'Connell was in her house; standing in her kitchen; staring at her. A low rumbled bubbled in her chest, an animal instinct as she spotted the person she least wanted to see — especially then. Reese was acutely aware of Emmett moving closer to her, preparing to step in in case she did something that could hurt the twins. His movement was like a stab in her chest; a horrible reminder that her anger could be potentially devastating now more than ever. No one would have batted an eye if she got upset before, but now, with the twins so close to her, there was no room for chances. Reese took in a few deep breaths, focusing on Annmarie and Taylor —who had taken to holding on to her legs to keep contact — to keep her mind level. Emmett didn't back up, but he didn't get any closer either, so Reese figured she was doing okay.