⚊ ii. almost

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎;
ALMOST

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎;ALMOST

— REESE LOGAN STARED AT the house with disdain; Elizabeth's house was nothing like her old home back in Minnesota

— REESE LOGAN STARED AT the house with disdain; Elizabeth's house was nothing like her old home back in Minnesota. Not only was it substantially bigger than the one on Sunrise Street, but it looked like a cutout from an interior design magazine. There were hardly any pictures and no personal items left lying around, all surfaces were completely void of dust and the furniture could have been a prop from how unused it seemed. The house looked empty, and that bothered Reese more than it should have. Not that she could show it.

"Sorry the house is a mess," Elizabeth's jade eyes narrowed as she spotted some left over dust on the marble counter tops. "Jillian doesn't work Thursdays."

"It's fine," Reese assured her, wanting to ask what Elizabeth thought a mess was, and placed the box she'd been carrying on the floor, turning to explore her new living quarters. Annmarie and Taylor trailed behind her, their little bodies wrapped in over sized fluffy blankets, their eyelids hooded and threatening to snap shut at any minute. Even though they were about to pass out, their dark eyes watched Reese's expressions carefully; they were thrust into a new home, in a new state with a woman who had met them when they were babies — not that they remembered that. Reese was more aware of how she reacted around them, if she looked worried they would cry; if she seemed angry, they would cry; if she did anything besides smile, they would cry. So, Reese plastered as good of a smile as she could manage on her face and pretended to be thrilled at their new living arrangements. Annmarie and Taylor followed their sister's example, beginning to venture around the living room and placed their stuffed dog and cat plush toys Elizabeth had bought them at a rest stop in Montana on the stiff couch. Poppy seemed to be just as exhausted as the children, and curled up under the coffee table to sleep.

"Where are their rooms?" Reese asked Elizabeth when the woman kicked the front door shut behind her and placed the remaining box on the kitchen floor. "They're tired, it's been a long ride."

Elizabeth's green eyes flickered over to the twins who were laying on the plush carpet, little snores escaping their mouths. "It's on the second floor, just passed the bathroom. They'll have to share, the only other room is my office and I wasn't expecting —"