⚊ ix. ode to normalcy

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄;
ODE TO NORMALCY

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄;ODE TO NORMALCY

UPDATED 3/10/21

UPDATED 3/10/21

— REESE DIDN'T KNOW HOW to feel the next morning; after everything that had gone down with Elizabeth dropping the bomb that their family was cursed so that any guy who fell in love with a Piedmont woman would die tragically, she felt different. Off balance almost; as if the sun rose in the west and set in the east. She felt wrong. It could have something do to with the guilt that was slowly eating away at her, if she hadn't stuck her nose where it didn't belong and simply let her trip down memory lane remain buried like her mom had wanted, Reese could have continued being oblivious to the curse that liked to watch happiness burn — pun not intended, but whatever.

Elizabeth had spent hours explaining their history; how Morgana had cast the spell out of hate but another witch had created a loophole in an attempt to save them. Apparently, every generation a firstborn daughter from the Piedmont line was chosen to break the curse somehow — but none of them succeeded, and now it was Reese's turn to give it a wack. Reese's head was spinning from the information, and when she'd finally found sleep her dreams had been nothing but nightmares of unfamiliar men falling prey to the curse. She woke up in a cold sweat at four in the morning, and had been awake since. There was a lot of emotions coursing through her veins; anger at Morgana for being so cruel as to do something like that to her family and angry at Mallory for being stupid enough to think that blocking Reese's magic would protect her. She was especially guilty for forcing Elizabeth to break her promise to her sister and sorry that the twins would eventually find out, because if anything ran in their bloodline it was curiosity; and curiosity killed the cat. The cat, in this case, was their future lovers.

Reese sat on her windowsill, cigarette in one hand and a picture of her parents in the other. She took a deep breath, inhaling the nicotine and letting the drug relax her. It had been a while since she'd smoked, trying to keep her promise to Annmarie but given the pressure she was under at that given point in time, she figured it was okay to cheat. The sun was slowly rising up above the mountains and into the clouds that never seemed to break, and time seemed to move like molasses. Reese debated calling Emmett to tell him not to bother picking her up, but she didn't want him to be worried, especially after what happened with those freaks the night before.