⚊ xxvii. but at what cost.

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍;
BUT AT WHAT COST

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍;BUT AT WHAT COST

— REESE STOOD IN COMPLETE darkness, her senses were on overdrive as her hearing struggled to compensate for her lack of vision

— REESE STOOD IN COMPLETE darkness, her senses were on overdrive as her hearing struggled to compensate for her lack of vision. She reached out with her hands, desperately searching for an end to the darkness; something she could use to climb her way back to the light. Back her her aunt. Back to Emmett. But she found nothing. Reese simply wandered around aimlessly, her heart beating painfully against her ribs as fear soured through her veins. For a split second, Reese was sure she must have gone blind but then a white light suddenly beamed down from somewhere up above. Reese hissed in pain, covering her sensitive eyes until they adjusted to the brightness.

Reese frowned, taking in her surroundings. The room she was in — if she could even call it that — had no end in sight. The floor she walked on was coated in a thin layer of water, but none of it got on Reese almost as if she wasn't actually touching it. The bright light seemed to stretch on in every direction forever, and Reese nearly wept at the thought of being trapped there for eternity. Morgana must have won, she thought to herself. This must be the chasm that she locked the ancient witch in, Morgana must have trapped Reese in there as some sort of poetic justice. Reese's pulse soared again. 

Without her permission, Reese's legs moved of their own accord. She sprinted forward, desperation pumping through her veins instead of blood. She needed to find the way out. Her family needed her and she needed them. Reese ran and ran and ran, but she felt like she wasn't moving at all. The water under her bare feet didn't even ripple. Reese stopped when she was sure her lungs were about to explode, but it was as if she hadn't moved a muscle. Frustrated, Reese let out a yell. She screamed for the sake of screaming. Nothing happened; no one appeared. Then, in the distance, Reese spotted a red door. There was no connecting wall attached to it, but Reese shivered at the sight of it. She tried to back up, to put as much space between herself and the door as possible, but Reese didn't move and the door continue to get closer.

Reese started screaming again when it was in arms reach and then it swung open. Reese heard a deranged cackle as she was sucked into the darkness on the other side of the red door. And then Reese was falling again. The fall into the chasm had been nothing compared to this one, this one seemed to last a lifetime. Years could have passed before she hit the ground but when she did, Reese knew she wasn't alone. The hair on her arms stood straight up as Reese struggled to stand on two feet.