𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE:TOO MUCH TO ASK

TOO MUCH TO ASK

SHE LOVED THE AVENGERS
FACILITY. Wanda pushed her down the hallways, passing a few of the Avengers here and there and almost freaking out when they offered her a smile. She was freaking out, but in a good way. She always looked up to the Avengers, she always had. They were her reason for living, for hoping, for going on so strongly despite the fear the swallowed her body bit by bit. Wanda stopped her in front of the giant windows, allowing her to look out over the grounds where she could see Willow and Natasha training some of the agents.

"What?" Wanda questioned, cocking her head slightly upon noticing the look on Beth's face. She watched as the girl carefully stood up, Wanda immediately moving to stand beside her so that she could catch her if she were to fall.

Beth glanced towards her, a smile on her face as she shook her head. "This place. . ." She sighed. "Ever since the Avengers were banded together, I've always looked up to them. They're the reason I'm still alive, why I kept on going, despite the many chances I had to let myself leave this earth before HYDRA ever got to me."

"Can I ask you something, Beth?"

"Of course." Beth nodded.

"Besides the downside of you being hurt, why do you hate what you can do?" Wanda questioned, cocking her head slightly. Beth looked out the window for a moment, her eyebrows furrowing before her face relaxed once more. She didn't move her eyes from the window as she answered the question.

"You have to understand, I've seen dreams, and they're beautiful." Beth told her before turning her head to meet Wanda's eyes. "But, I've also seen nightmares, and they're absolutely terrifying." Beth sat back down in the wheelchair and Wanda started to wheel her back to her room.

"You walk through nightmares, I create them." Wanda spoke. "Ironic, isn't it?"

"You could say that." Beth hummed. "Do I have to go back to my room?"

"Until Rosalynn says you can have your own, then yes." Wanda told her, opening the door to the hospital room and helping Beth back into the bed. She made herself comfortable before watching as Wanda sat on the side of her bed. "I can leave you alone, if you want rest."

"Rest is the last thing I need." Beth shook her head. "I'll probably get shot again, and I would prefer that not happening seeing as I want to get out of this bed as soon as a possibly can."

"And you can do that as soon as your stats are back to normal." Rosalynn entered the room, grabbing the women's attention. They both turned to look at her, Rosalynn offering the duo a small smile before glancing down at the tablet in her hands with a sigh. Beth furrowed her eyebrows, sitting up slightly.

"What's wrong?"

"Wanda." Rosalynn looked towards the woman, nodding her head for her to leave. Wanda glanced towards Beth and squeezed her hand, going to stand up only for Beth to grab her hand.

"She can stay." Beth nodded, meeting Wanda's eyes before looking back towards Rosalynn. "Tell me the bad news that is clearly written all over your face."

Rosalynn nodded her head. "Beth, it seems that HYDRA affected you a lot more than we originally thought." Rosalynn handed her the tablet showing her DNA sitting beside of Wanda's. Beth shook her head in confusion.

"I don't understand."

"It seems that like Wanda, you have some sort of ability to control people's minds. Like Wanda can show people nightmares, this is only a theory, but I believe you can show people dreams." Wanda glanced down at the red that she allowed to cover her hand.

"Like this?" She motioned to the chaos magic and Rosalynn nodded her head.

"Your DNA matches up in certain points from where you have both been in HYDRA's hands, there are certain changes in your DNA that weren't there when your DNA was first inserted into the system when you were young. But your DNA is completely different, and that's why I'm concerned about it."

"My DNA's been. . . rewritten?" Beth questioned, handing her the tablet back. "But, that would mean that my powers have developed somehow, which can't be true because they practically disappeared when I was with HYDRA."

"They didn't disappear." Rosalynn shook her head. "They were simply hiding and transforming into something you aren't ready to find out yet."

"And here I thought I had managed to escape those bastards without being torn apart." Beth mumbled. "Is there anything that you can do? Can you alter it or something?"

"I'm afraid not." Rosalynn shook her head. "All we can do is run more test and find out why this hasn't revealed itself to you yet. I would like to keep you supervised for at least one more night, hopefully your stats will be back to normal by then. But until we find out what this is, I want you to be extra careful, alright."

Beth nodded her head and sighed as the woman left the room. Tears started to form in Beth's eyes as she leaned her head back, closing her eyes and bring her hands to her face as she tried not to cry. She let in a deep breath, before swallowing thickly and meeting Wanda's eyes.

"I'm so sorry this is happening to you, Beth." Wanda squeezed her hand.

"Yeah." Beth nodded, clenching her jaw as she tried to keep herself from crying. She forced a smile as she looked at Wanda. "I'm just a woman that wants to be somewhat normal again. Is that too much to ask?"

"In this world. . . yes." Wanda sadly admitted. She leaned over, wiping the tear that had managed to fall down Beth's cheek. She placed a hand on her cheek and Beth placed her hand over Wanda's, leaning into the woman's touch.

"I just want to be okay again." Beth whispered. Wanda nodded her head.

"I know."