𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR:NATASHA ROMANOFF

NATASHA ROMANOFF

IT TOOK A FEW MORE days before she was finally let out of the hospital room and given her own room with an actual bed, television, and bathroom. Within those days, a new development had occured. One that had made her let out a scream of surprise. Because, it seemed that Rosalynn's theory was proven right. It was almost like a cloud of pink dust surrounding her fingertips, and like Wanda's, she could place the powers into people's heads, and show them what they wanted to see, false realities that left smiles on their faces. And suddenly, her powers weren't so bad. Sure she got hurt if she was hurt in dreams, but she would prefer that than her powers to be the ones that hurt someone else.

Beth sat there on the couch in the small living room that she was given, her eyes focused sorely on her hands as she let the pink cloud like substance surround her hands. The pink substance going from her fingertips looked like it would be soft to the touch, and there was a glint within them that seemed as if it were sprinkled with pixie dust. She had tried them on one person, and that person had been Wanda. Wanda had offered, claiming that it seemed only fair seeing as Beth had originally appeared inside of her head in the first place. And Wanda was the only person that Beth really knew.

A knock came on her door, making the brunette glance away from her hands and towards the door. She closed her hands and forced herself up from the comfort of her couch. It was true that she was finding a home here, but she found herself not once letting her guard down. She found her eyes constantly roaming around every where she went, as if HYDRA was suddenly going to pop out and grab hold of her. She was still trying to get used to the fact that she could walk around freely and that she had a choice of whether or not needles could be placed into her arms. Beth was still trying to convince herself that this just wasn't an ongoing dream, and that it was actually reality.

     Another knock came and she ushered herself to the door before pulling it open to reveal a redhead woman standing there. For a moment, Beth almost didn't recognize her, until the name of the woman registered in her brain and she suddenly stood up straighter. "Black Widow."

     Natasha smiled at the use of her codename as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Natasha Romanoff, but yes that's what I'm professionally known as. Bethany Dennings, right? The new recruit."

     "Well, recruit is a strong word." Beth answered.

     "Well, Bethany―︎"

     "Beth. Just Beth."

     "Right. Well, Beth, once you get dressed, come and find me in the training room. I want to get your strengths and weaknesses so that I can help train you." Natasha told her, and Beth frowned slightly.

     "Train me?" Beth questioned, cocking her head slightly.

     "Yes." Natasha nodded. "Teach you how to fight. We want you to be able to fight in case if you ever run into trouble or HYDRA tries to get ahold of you again―︎which we won't let happen. It's just for precautions."

     "O-okay." Beth nodded, swallowing thickly. "Uh. . . what exactly do I wear to these things?"

     "Exercise clothes." Natasha shrugged. "Whatever you're comfortable wearing." Beth nodded before watching as Natasha walked away. When the woman was out of sight, Beth closed the door and took a moment to replay the words Natasha had spoken. She was going to learn how to protect herself from HYDRA. She was going to be able to fight back, and that made her determined to start her training. She refused to be a helpless thirteen year old for the rest of her life. So Beth was quick to throw on a pair of leggings and black tank top that had been placed in her closet that was filled with clothing.

She walked down the hall, pursing her lips as she tried to find where the training room could be. She found herself taking wrong turns, until she stood there with a huff, biting the inside of her cheek. It wasn't until Wanda spotted the girl that she chuckled before making her way over towards Beth.

     "You look lost." Wanda called to her, making Beth snap her head towards the girl.

     "Finally, a familiar face." Beth breathed, watching as Wanda stopped right in front of her. "I'm trying to find Natasha. She said she was going to train me, and I have yet to memorize this place in my head."

     "Come with me." Wanda nodded and Beth did as she asked. "How are you settling in? Is your room alright? Is the bed comfortable? Is there anything I can do―︎"

     "Everything's perfect, Wanda." Beth admitted, a smile on her face. "I haven't had a place to call home since I was a kid. And I've been here for a week, and this is starting to feel like home. Like a safe place. And it brings me nothing but nostalgia."

     "I'm glad you feel safe here." Wanda smiled, feeling like she had accomplished something. Knowing that Beth felt safe to the place she had brought her, makes her feel like she had done something right.

     "I don't just feel safe here in this building." Beth shook her head, causing Wanda to look at her. Beth turned her head to meet Wanda's eyes. "I feel safe here with you. I haven't felt safe around anyone since my mom. And. . . I have missed that feeling."

     "I'm glad I'm able to give that to you again." Wanda answered, grabbing the girls hand and giving it a small squeeze.

     Beth smiled down at their hands before meeting Wanda's eyes and nodding her head. "Yeah, so am I."

"