𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

Bethany looked at her mother with a small smile, stuffing her face with her dinner that her mother had made for her. Her mother, Delilah, smiled at her thirteen-year-old child before sitting down on the other end of the table and eating her meal as well. Beth's father was out of the picture, he had died a long time ago, Beth didn't really remember him because she was so young when the news of his death took place. Her mother had been devastated, having already planned what they were going to do as a family when he got home from war. Beth had been six.

"How was school, sweetheart?" Her mother asked. Beth shrugged her shoulders, her smile faltering slightly as she looked at her food, her fork slowly twisting the noodles around it.

"It was school." The girl answered. Delilah gave her daughter a sad smile. She always had trouble in school, but it was simply because Beth liked to go into another world whilst her teachers were talking, making her miss half of the information they learned.

"I'm sorry, hun."

"It's whatever." Beth shrugged, offering her mother a bright smile. She didn't want her mother to worry about her. There was no need to worry about her, well mostly. She placed her fork down before taking a sip of her drink and then standing up. "I'm finished."

"Alright. Start working on your homework, please."

"I will." Beth said. She walked over, giving her mother a kiss on the cheek to let her know that she wasn't upset with her and then turned and walked away. She made her way up the steps and entered her room. She looked down at her math homework, a blank look on her face as she looked at the complicated numbers and letters. She bit her lip, sitting down at her desk as she tried to figure out what it was that she was doing. Eventually, she had to look up the answers and silently cursed herself for doing so.

She didn't know what was wrong with her, truly she didn't. But her dreams were starting to drain her, they were starting to distract her. Not in a good way either. Beth knew what she could do, did she understand what exactly it was that she could do? No, she didn't. But she had an idea. She couldn't remember how young she was, but she was positive it started right after the news of her fathers death. Though she barely remembered the man, she remembered him enough that her dreams started to distract her, when they became her reality she wasn't sure of.

She had read her first Anne Frank book, and she had watched her first horror movie the week before, and from then her dreams started to become darker and darker. And now she was scared to go to sleep, and it had only been a week. She wondered if they were going to get worse. She hoped not, but when did she ever get what she wanted?

Night fall came and Beth was ready for bed. She looked at her twin sized bed and let out a soft sigh before climbing under the covers. She silently prayed that she would have peaceful dreams, but as soon as she closed her eyes she knew that wasn't bound to happen.

She had armor on, and a sword in her hand. She looked around and noticed that she was inside what seemed to be a volcano. She realized she had to walk across the wooden pathway that was hovering over the lava below. She swallowed thickly before walking forward and just as she did so, a loud shrill was heard and a giant and beautiful yellow and orange dragon flew up from the lava. Beth looked at the creature with wide eyes and made a run for it. The dragon let its fire out on her and she let out a squeal, using her sword to block most of the flames.

The power sent her off balance. She struggled to catch her footing, and just when she thought she was about to fall backwards, a hand grabbed onto her wrist and kept her steady. Beth looked at the girl and saw a brunette with the same armor on as her.

"Come on!" The stranger shouted before dragging her away from the dragon that continued to try and light the two girls on fire. They made it from the volcano, Beth looking at her arm that was starting to become slightly scarred from the fire that hadn't hit her sword and had hit her skin instead, right in the tiny crack of the armor. She looked at the girl as they were finally out of sight, her breath heavy.

"Thank you."

"Of course. Can I ask you a question though?" Beth nodded her head. "What are you doing in my dream?"

And that's when Beth shot up from her bed, her breathing heavy and her shoulder screaming in pain from the burns. That had been the first time she had ever entered a dream that wasn't her own. And she hadn't even realized she had done it, or how she had done it.