Chapter 3

"Can you skate backwards?" Charlie nods quickly. "Can I try something?" I've haven't had a partner to skate with in a while. I think the last time I did it was before I started here. It wasn't like anything professional. Mike and I used to skate just for fun but he helped me with some of the pair figures. Sadly, he moved away right when I started here and I haven't seen him since. That was the last time I did any kind of pair figures.

"Sure." Charlie doesn't seem so sure though. A small laugh leaves my lips as I say "Don't worry, it's nothing complicated." I hold out my hands for him to take. He takes them and even though we're both wearing gloves I can't shake the tingling feeling in my fingertips. Charlie starts going backwards, pulling me along. Carefully I lift up my leg, going higher and higher.

I'm not even sure I can still do it. I haven't done the splits in ages but somehow I manage to get my leg up high enough. When I last did this with Mike my leg was still rather shaky but now there is no shakiness left. I've come a long way since then. Even though this really isn't anything too special it's fun. As I slowly lower my leg again I let go of Charlie's hands. Once there is a little distance between us I do a pirouette.

A bright smile on my face I turn to Charlie. The way he's looking at me takes my breath away. "That was amazing!" My cheeks heat up. I'm trying my best to sound casual as I say "It wasn't a big deal." He comes gliding over to me, stopping right infront of me. "You should give yourself some credit." There's so much sincerity in his eyes I just can't contradict. It's not like I'm not used to people complimenting my skating.

Our trainer Mrs. Lewis always says I'm one of her most promising skaters but with Charlie it feels different. It is different. He's a stranger, he has no reason to encourage me. It's like I can trust his compliment way more than I can trust Mrs. Lewis because she knows if she encourages me I'll do good at competitions and that's good for the school. "Wait until you see what I did for the last competition."

I was so proud after doing that competition. It was one of the few times I was really satisfied with my performance. "Can I see it now?" I nod excitedly. Charlie glides to the side of the rink propping up his phone to play my music. I did a free program to Fight Song by Rachel Platten. As the music starts playing I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I can feel my body taking over, feeling the music, knowing exactly how to move.

Once I'm finished I skate over to Charlie who's looking kinda speechless. "Woah" he says as I stop infront of him. "The girls at my school definitely couldn't compete with you." I can feel myself blush once again. The words he says are just so pure, so honest, it fills my heart with joy. It makes me really happy that he enjoyed the program because it's one of my favorites.

Trying to downplay it a little I poke his arm playfully and say "You're exaggerating." He shakes his head fiercely. "Not in the slightest. You'll see when you come visit." The thought of going to Charlie's school makes me feel a little worried. I've been so excited for this exchange but now... I don't know. I've never feared competition so what is this about?

It's not even like they are actual competition. We're not competing at anything. This exchange is just supposed to be fun. To help us grow. "You alright? You seem a little uneasy?" I try to shake off the worry and force a smile on my face. "I'm fine. So... when will I see how good you are?" Charlie rubs the back of his neck, which is unbelievably adorable. Can he please stop making me feel dizzy?

"You could come to practice... when is practice by the way?" Omg right! I didn't introduce him to the team yet. I didn't show him the school yet. I made him miss first period. I'm a really bad partner. "Omg I'm so sorry. Let's get back on track. I'll introduce you and I'll show you the school but... let's just get to second period."

"So you skipped first period to hang with your hot exchange student, huh?" I poke Sarah gently, yet still forcefully. "We went skating ok?" It's not like I've never skipped first period to go skating before. I intentionally ignore her referring to him as hot because I couldn't deny it and I know she would be teasing me about it for the rest of the year.

"Well... I've never seen you at a hockey practice before though." That I sadly can't deny either. She's right, I've never been. I never saw a reason why though. I go to their games, sure, but why should I watch them practice? It's not like I'm friends with any of the guys. "Are you taking him to the party?" - "I didn't ask him yet." Every year on the weekend between the two weeks the exchange students are here there is a party at the local club. It's only for the seniors, but not limited to the skaters and hockey players, all seniors can come.

"I'll ask tonight." To be honest, he doesn't really have a choice but to go. It's like a kind of obligation. If you don't come you're not cool and you'll be an outcast for the rest of the year. "We're going to New York tomorrow. Wanna come?" Tomorrow is our one day of the week where we only have school until noon. Usually I use the time to practice but I guess some fun would be alright. "I'll ask Charlie."