Chapter 49

"I wish you could stay," Charlie whispers into my ear, his arms tightly wrapped around me. I rest my head against Charlie's chest. "It's only for two and a half weeks." I can't stop my lips from curving into a smile at the thought of Charlie moving in with us that soon. Suddenly, a thought I had a couple of times in the past days crosses my mind once again. I lift my head off Charlie's chest to look at him. "Are you sure about this?" Charlie tilts his head in confusion. "How couldn't I?" - "Charlie, as much as I want you around me, what about your family?" The better I got to know his family the harder it was for me to imagine that he can leave them behind without missing them like crazy. They seemed closer than I'd ever seen a family.

"Mia..." I lift my head to Charlie's lips to stop him. "At least think about it for a moment." Sighing heavy he says "Believe me, I have. Many times I have. Yes, I will miss them - I will miss them like crazy sometimes - but eventually I would have moved out anyways. It's not like I'll never see them again. All I know is that these months I wasn't with you? They were the hardest months ever. I couldn't be there for you. I felt like something was off but I couldn't be there for you through that damn phone. I couldn't take you to the movies, I couldn't show up at your door when I wanted to kiss you. Mia, I want to be with you."

I'm unable to say anything. Hearing Charlie say this, hearing how much he struggled while we were separated? Knowing he'll leave his family behind to be with me? I didn't think I would ever find my person but right in this moment I know that with Charlie I have found my one. "Mia, it's time to leave." I hear someone call behind me. I turn my head to find Mr. James waving at me from the bus door. I turn back around to Charlie, a sad expression coming over me. Softly, Charlie brushes a strand of hair out of my face. I close my eyes and snuggle my cheek into his hand for just a second. Before I can open my eyes I can feel Charlie's lips on mine. When we pull apart I whisper "I love you Charlie, so much. It's only a little more than two weeks." Without waiting for his response I take a step back, his arms letting go of me, before I turn around and walk towards the bus.

***

"Mia, you're back!" Sarah wraps her arms around me. I throw my bag into the back of my car. I had given it to Sarah for the two weeks I was gone. "You have to tell me everything!" Sarah and I hop into the car. I haven't talk to her since I left, only send a couple of texts. She knew I was enjoying every second I possibly could with Charlie and I prefer telling her things in person anyway. "Where to?" I think about it for a moment. I know I should go home and tell mum the good news but I want to keep it to myself for just a little bit longer, and I want Sarah to be the first one to hear. "Let's go have a milkshake, shall we?" - "Isn't it a bit cold for that?" Sarah asks laughing. She's right, it is really chilly out but compared to Canada it fees almost hot. And I have Charlie's hoodie to keep my warm. I snuggle my face into the hoodie, taking a deep breath. For now it still smells like Charlie but I'm sure the smell will fade soon. Luckily, I'll have him here so soon.

Once we have our milkshakes, Sarah and I sit down in a booth in the back. "So, tell me. How was it?" I don't even know where to start. "Amazing! First of all, freezing though." Sarah had just taken a sip of her milkshake and is now coughing which turns into laughter in seconds. "No wonder you were up for a milkshake right now. Must feel hot to you here, huh?" I nod, still laughing. I can't keep it in anymore so I say "I went back onto the ice." Sarah stops right in her movement. For a moment she stares at me but then she finally says "You did what?" - "I skated again." My smile couldn't be brighter. I can see the words sink in and suddenly Sarah jumps up and around the table "OMG MIA!" Before I can stand up Sarah has her arms wrapped around me tightly.

When Sarah sits back down her smile is equally as bright as mine. "How did that happen? I thought you would never even go near a rink." - "Charlie," I say shrugging. "He saw what I couldn't see. It was my fear holding me back. I mean, I knew I was scared but I thought there was more, something I couldn't explain. Maybe there was. Anyway, somehow he managed to break through and pull me out of wherever I was." - "I'm really happy for you, Mia." - "Sarah?" She nods, waiting for me to continue. "I don't wanna tell mum just yet, is that bad?" Sarah shakes her head quickly. "You should tell her when you're ready." - "Part of me really wants to tell her but, even though she doesn't mean to, as soon as she knows the pressure will be back. I know she wouldn't say so but I know she wants me to do the competition still." - "That's in only three weeks!" I can't help but smile, knowing that no matter what happens, no matter if I can somehow do the competition or not, Charlie will be there. "What are you smiling about?" - "There's something else I have to tell you."