Chapter 29

I want to tell Sarah what happened but suddenly I'm not so sure anymore. "Did you talk to him... last night?" I can see new anger flashing across Sarah's face when she shakes her head. "I tried but he wouldn't talk to me. He said he has to explain and practically made a run for your dad's car." So he must have gotten back only moment after mum and I. If he would have come seconds earlier and forced me to talk to him would I still have ended up in the hospital? I honestly don't know. "Mia, what happened after you and your mum left?" - "She drove me home."

For a moment Sarah waits but when I don't continue she raises an eyebrow. I still feel the need to lie even though she already knows part of the true story. "I went to take a shower and then I tried to sleep but... I couldn't... I kept seeing the same picture over and over again." I don't need to tell her which picture I saw, the look on her face tells me she knows. "After hours I got up and went to the rink." - "Mia." I look at her regretful. "I know it was stupid ok? Being here proves that." I'm still hesitant to tell her what happened at the rink. Even though I blamed Charlie earlier, me being in here is as much my faul, if not more, as his.

"I wasn't gonna do much but then Fight Song came on and I just couldn't stop myself. I felt fine but then..." I look down at my hands. "Then what?" Sarah's voice is a mixture of curiosity and anger. "When I jumped I saw Charlie there and I... I just didn't expect him to be there.... I tripped." When I look back up at her she's about to get up from my bed. I reach for her arm to keep her in place. "Mia, let me go talk to him." I shake my head slightly. "It's not his fault. I should have known better." Why am I protecting him again? Even though I'm starting to believe what I'm saying is true. I shouldn't have been on the ice. I can't blame Charlie for that one.

"Did you talk to Kaylie?" Sarah looks down and I immediately know something happened. "Sarah?" After a few moments, that feel like an eternity to me, she says "I may or may not have slapped her." My eyes widen but at the same time a bright smile, that I know shouldn't be there, appears on my lips. "Why are you smiling?" I shrug. "As bad as it sounds, she deserved it." Sarah nods in agreement. I never had anything against Kaylie but I know she never really liked me. I guess you get what you deserve, huh? Before we can talk about this any further my parents re-enter my room.

I look at them hopeful but the look on their faces doesn't promise much. "Honey we're sorry but you have to stay for the night. Sarah can you leave us for a moment?" Without any further need Sarah gets up and walks out the door. I really hope she leaves Charlie alone. I'd much rather have her stay here with me than be out there with him. "Mia..." The sound of my mums voice makes me worry. "They found traces of alcohol and aspirin in your blood. How could you go on the ice like that?" So the alcohol hadn't worn off. Immediately I start to feel bad. "I'm so sorry mum. I know it was so stupid." I can't stop the tears from streaming down my face once again.

I can tell mum wants to hug me but she doesn't because at the same time she's really disappointed in me. I try gathering myself again. There's no use crying anyways, it won't make that go away. "We brought you some clothes, just in case." Dad drops the bag on a chair in the corner. "We'll be back tomorrow morning." I don't think mum has ever been that disappointed in me. I doubt it's only because of the injury, I think she knows I'm lying about Charlie's involvement. Once my parents are gone Sarah comes back in. "Please tell me you didn't slap someone again?" She knows I'm referring to Charlie. She shakes her head. "I was really tempted to though." That I bet she was.

She sits back down on my bed and for a while we stay silent. "Sarah, I really messed up." She rubs my arm softly. "If someone messed up it's the guy outside the door." I don't know why but the fact that Charlie is still here even after I accused him of being the reason I'm in here means a lot to me. "I should have known better than to go on the ice in my condition. I really can't blame him for that. But I did. I yelled at him and said it was his fault." Out of nowhere I'm starting to feel really bad about earlier which is stupid because sure, I shouldn't have yelled at him like that but he shouldn't have kissed Kaylie in the first place.

"Mia, don't start thinking you did anything wrong, ok?" Sarah really knows me too damn well. "I shouldn't have yelled at him." She shakes her head fiercely. "Yes you should! Maybe not about the accident but about Kaylie. Doesn't matter, he deserved to be yelled at." If you put it that way she isn't entirely wrong. "Sarah, I'm really tired..." It's only partly a lie. I am really tired, even though I doubt I'll get much sleep anyways. "Sure, I'll see you when you're back home, ok?" I nod weakly, flashing her a small smile. I need some time to think and figure out what I should do next. About both, Charlie and skating. I still can't believe I won't be on the ice for at least five weeks.