Chapter 17

I can feel Charlie staring at me in the corner of my eye. Rolling my eyes and letting my head fall back in my seat I turn towards him. "Yes, I am still awake." We're more than halfway through the movie and I feel like every ten minutes I feel Charlie checking if I'm awake, simply because he knows it drives me crazy. Casually shrugging he says "Too bad. I would have gladly offered myself as a pillow again." I can't stop my lips from curving into a bright smile. To hide the fact that my cheeks are blushing I turn away from Charlie and turn my attention back to the movie. I can feel his eyes linger on me for a little longer but then he returns his attention to the movie too.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed that movie more than the last one" Charlie says while playfully nudging me. I don't bother responding because I know it's what he wants... a reaction of some sort and I won't give him that satisfaction. Shortly before we reach my room a big yawn leaves Charlie's mouth. Before I can do anything against it a giggle leaves mine. "Hey! You forced me to get up at an inhuman time ok!" Another giggle leaves my lips and it quickly turns into laughter. This isn't even that funny. I guess I must be a little tired too. It's already 11pm and we've been up since around 4am so...

Charlie steps in front of me, staring into my eyes intensely. There is no giggle left inside me. For a second I feel like I've forgotten how to breathe. "You've been making fun of me quite a lot today." He says that in such a low, dark voice it makes this completely normal statement incredibly sexy. I'm unable to respond so I just shrug. "I think you should make it up to me." The tone of his voice didn't change. My whole body feels like it's on fire and covered in goosebumps at the same time. What is he doing to me? I swallow hard before I nod and say "I guess." I've never been that speechless in my entire life before. "Any idea how?" Omg can he please take a step back and talk normally again?

I can't think straight! All I can think about right now is how much I wanna kiss him so I just shake my head. His sexy smirk appears immediately. "I guess I'll have to come up with something then." Finally, but also sadly, he takes a small step back. His voice sounds completely normal again as he says "Good Night Mia." He starts walking towards his room. He's almost inside but he turns around and looks at me again. I'm still standing in the exact same spot. "Good Night Charlie" I finally manage to say.

After Charlie had stepped into his room it took me another few seconds to gather myself and step inside mine. Since then I've been lying awake, unable to get the sound of his voice out of my head. I couldn't have possible imagined the tension between us, could I? Is it possible that he might like me as more than a friend too? Or was he just playing? He was joking only moments before so it could have easily been part of that. Right now I really wish I could talk to Sarah about what just happened. Now that I finally admitted it to myself and am able to talk to her about it there's so much I'd wanna say.

I think back to the conversation we had earlier today and a little bit of the sadness returns. Being with Charlie I completely forget that tomorrow in exactly a week he'll be gone and this will all be over. I should better start trying to keep my distance, at least romantically. This can only end with me getting hurt either way. Either he'll leave and it'll be over or he doesn't like me back in the first place. We're just friends and that's how it should continue to be.

***

"Finally we're alone!" Charlie says as he hops into the passengers seat. I turn to look at him, raising an eyebrow. Mum had already started breakfast when I came into the kitchen. For the first time in forever I'd needed my second alarm because I ignored the first one. Charlie was already sitting at the counter with a coffee in his hands. Mum was in a very chatty mood because dad had to leave early for work today so up until now Charlie and I hadn't been alone but I didn't know he wanted us to be. I can't do anything about my pulse speeding up a bit at the fact that he wanted to be alone with me.

Luckily there is at least a tiny bit of distance between us today so I'm not as frozen as I was last night. "Well I came up with how you can make up for your naughty behavior." I can't suppress my giggle at the word naughty. What is it about him that makes me giggle like a child all the time? Now he's the one raising an eyebrow. "I see you're intending to continue it today." Since when is he talking so posh? I fight against the giggle as hard as I can, trying my best to make a straight, serious face.

"So what is it that you want?" It takes all my energy to hide the shakiness of my voice. I have no idea why but something in his expression tells me that what he's thinking of is going to make my heart skip a beat in a second. He takes his sweet, torturous time before he finally says "I want you, Mia Carter, to be my date for tomorrows party." What? He wants me to be his DATE? Just like I suspected my heart skips a beat. "So?" His expression is so hopeful. "I'd be honored."