Chapter 9

I didn't miss the deadly look Sarah shot me when Lukas and I were teasing. When we get of the train I hoover Charlie to our car, yelling goodbye to everyone on our way. I don't want to discuss this with Sarah right now. I know she'll blow it out of proportion, just like she does with Charlie and I. I love her but she just interprets way too much into certain situations.

As soon as we both closed the doors of the car Charlie says "So, what's going on between you and Lukas?" I turn to look at Charlie, throwing him a look like I'm wondering if he has lost his mind. "Did you stay in the sun for too long?" He laughs a little. "You really don't see it, do you?" I shake my head in confusion. "I have no idea what you are talking about." - "Mia, he likes you." I shake my head again, fiercely this time. "Certainly not." There is no way he does. "Mia..." I lift my hand to stop him. "Please stop. He can't like me and I don't like him."

He doesn't say anything else. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that saw the way Sarah looked at him and the deadly look she shot me. I guess he's piecing it together now. I wasn't lying though. Even though I hardly know Lukas I just couldn't ever like him like that. Partly because of Sarah but also because he just so isn't my type. Where is that even coming from?

Lukas and I hardly know each other. Sure, we meet at competitions and hockey games and occasionally at parties or something but that's it. It was not only the first time for Sarah to be almost alone with him, it was for me too. I'm so lost in those thoughts I don't realize I drove all the way home without saying a word to Charlie.

As I pull into our driveway I say "Sorry." He looks over at me. "Whatcha sorry for?" - "Ignoring you the whole drive home." A smug smile builds on his lips. "Who said I wasn't ignoring you?" I roll my eyes at him but can't help but return his smile.

"Mia, Charlie, you're early!" Mum is in the kitchen, potentially cleaning up from dinner. "Yeah, Lukas thought we should give off a good first impression and don't get back too late on a school night." Mum nods approvingly. "I like that." I turn around to Charlie and mouth of course she does. "So you want some dinner? I can make more?" I shake my head slightly.

"Don't worry, I got it." I can tell she isn't convinced. "Mum, I'm capable of making something to eat for us." Finally, she nods and returns to finishing up cleaning. I turn around to Charlie. "I'll go change into something comfy. I can come get you once dinner is ready?" - "I'll help you." I just nod my head. "Ok, see you back in 5?" Charlie nods too so I turn back around and head for my room.

"Alright, what we making?" I open up the fridge to quickly have a look at what we got. I reach for the chicken, salad, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers and avocado. Turning around to Charlie I try to gracefully nudge the fridge closed while not loosing anything. Where would be the challenge in grabbing everything individually? Unfortunately I must admit that due to my mum always treating me like a child when it comes to things like making me food my cooking skills could be better but I know my basics.

"Chicken salad, that ok?" Charlie, once again, just nods. I didn't miss that he started being awfully quiet the second we walked into the kitchen. He must still work on getting used to being around my parents. I place the ingredients on the counter and grab to cutting boards and knifes. Placing on infront of Charlie I say "Just do whatever you like best." He reaches for the pepper so I grab the chicken. In silence we cut up all the ingredients. While he's mixing the salad parts together I go to fry the chicken.

Once it's done I throw it on top. Charlie and I reach for the salad servers at the same time and the second our hands touch my heart skips a beat once again. I blame it on the surprise or maybe the fact that he's in my kitchen because what else would it be. I'm used to being around boys but I guess it's different if it's in my home. "I'll grab the dressing" I say taking my hands away and walking over to the fridge. Without any comment Charlie stirs the chicken into the salad. I place the dressing and two bowls on the counter before I walk around it to sit down on the other side.

Charlie sits down next to me, still not saying anything. Slowly the silence starts to feel a little weird. I reach for the servers and place some salad in my bowl. Once I'm done Charlie does the same. Throughout the whole time we're eating we're silent. Luckily my parents are in the living room watching TV because I know they'd have a comment to make to me afterwards, asking if anything happened, which I wouldn't know how to answer.

I place everything in the dishwasher after we're done eating. Charlie is still sitting in his chair. Once I'm done I gesture for him to come along. We walk towards our rooms. This time, his is closer than mine. I walk past his room knowing he won't follow me, because why would he. I can hear him open his door and that's when I turn back around. "Charlie?" He looks up at me, his hand on the doorknob. "Yeah?" I take a deep breath. "What's wrong?" He tilts his head slightly. "You're acting weird." A small smile forms on his lips. "I'm just tired. Good Night Mia." Without waiting for my answer he steps inside his room and closes the door.