As Awake As Can Be

Comfort came from the repetitive breathing, ease in the calm inhales and exhales that poured in and out, the slight twitch in her eyes every now and then made him feel relieved. She was fine, just asleep, she'd wake up this time with him by her side.
The boy latched onto her the following hours, staying by her side to content his worries. Hanako ran his fingers through her hair as he reminisced about a time when he was alive; he desired even the sense of comfort from her again just like last time. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling him up into his chest with a bitter smile. It was like this once, but the roles were reversed, a memory of her he was fond of. Hanako-kun let his hand wander through her hair, reveling in the familiar texture.

He remembered the way her hands would comb through his hair, her callous hands felt nice against his hair, Hanako snuggled closer to her, he could make new- better- memories with her this time. Hanako couldn't handle the look she had when she heard about her best friends dying, he couldn't stand to look.

The rustle of fabric alerted him of her movement, he watched as she stirred, not waking up but fretting inside of her little dream he assumed, soon she'd have to wake up though considering the last time she stayed late, Teru had found her in the bathrooms with Hanako and practically dragged her out.
He maneuvered her hand to set against his hand, down to his wrist and kept them there. She had bandaged up that exact arm because of 'something' that happened, doing similar movements when she had finished wrapping his wound, asking him who hurt him while comforting him. Hanako- when he was human- he leaned closer, hiding his face away.

Of course, Hanako didn't listen and just wanted to be consoled.. She gave him that security to be himself around her, so he finally started opening up.
And then- and then..

"Hanako?"

He lifted his face to look at his friend, the boy smiling happily to see her awake! Hanako didn't lift her up or anything, but he did embrace her all of a sudden with a happy noise; "You're awake! And ok!" She didn't look the best with drool dribbling down her chin and eye gunk stuck somewhere around the corners of her eyes but he still thought she was pretty, even with all that stuff, "You might wanna wash your face. There's a lot of stuff on it."
With that blurted out, Hanako waited for a laugh and was not disappointed. Her jittery, bubbly laugh was contagious as he laughed along before spouting a 'seriously' during his laughter. That laugh was once he waited years to hear again, and he couldn't wait any longer to hear!

(Name) grinned, getting up from the medical bed before seeing the time. Her heart sank heavy seeing it was almost early in the morning, meaning she missed the club activities and the time to get some more paintings and deliveries in. She looked back to Hanako who was turned away and wiping his face with his sleeve. She didn't want to make him feel out of place to cry, so she turned away. (Name) cleared her throat, "Uh, I should leave if that's ok?" It was a few minutes before she got a response, the silence unsettled her because of Hanako. She was willing to remain his friend, but knowing that he.. Killed someone. (Name) felt uncomfortable to even turn her back to him when conscious of that again, still he saved her.
Maybe, maybe he had too..

"Yea. Yea, you're right, we don't want that blonde boy coming by again." Hanako sounded hesitant, but it wasn't like she could insist that she should stay.
She nodded, before getting off the bed and fixing the covers, Hanako-kun still turned away from her, (Name) walked around the bed with hope she wouldn't regret what she was about to do next.

"Hey," she pulled him into a hug, "If you- you know- ever need to talk I'm here. I'll try to help you through it.." The ghost boy was shaking, he didn't cry, he couldn't find it in himself to cry this time, he just smiled when hugging her back. The ghost shook his head, "No, you don't have too. You're uncomfortable because I killed somebody, right?" With no response as his answer, but her slinking away and out the hug he knew he was right. If he had no more composure to front, he would've broken down but kept calm.
"That's ok, I'm grateful you still stick around."
(Name) nodded slowly, processing his words before getting up and leaving the room rather quickly, she needed to get home to finish up her artwork and sell for enough rent this month. She likes the time spent with friends- even if Hanako did some.. Things- she needed to get home fast.

She navigated the hallways, down the steps quickly with a warranted, fast pace, the way the moonlight was caught in the hallways made her awestruck. It looked like one big painting in front of her eyes as she watched the way lights danced from the moon and stars glowing in the sky, she stepped outside the building and breathed in the cool, night air that ruffled against her hair and clothes, a chortle sounded just beside her, she looked to her side and saw Hanako.
(Name) practically jumped to the ground, yelling all the way down, he snorted, holding out his hand.

(Name) took it, pulling herself up with his help, pulling her hand away to smack his shoulder scoldingly; "If I died from fright, I would've haunted you!" The boy smiled wider, as if a few minutes ago he wasn't just sad, it's hard figuring him out to say the least.. Hanako-kun patted her shoulder, still boiling over with laughter, "I- I was just coming over to make sure you got out safely!" He giggled. (Name) stared, leaving him behind at the doors, she was 'upset' but it wouldn't last long.
"Wait! (Name)!" He called, floating after with apology after apology.