Chapter 8: On My Own

One Month After Amon...

Everything was how it was before I met Korra, perhaps that's how it should be. I stole things that seemed to not even be criminal. Just desperation. "Hey get back here!" The shopkeeper shouted so I looked back and yelled back, "It's just an apple!" then grabbed a rope and cut it sending me flying up.

I sat down and began to chow on my acquired apple. "Hey did you hear about the guy that saved people around the city? They say that he was invulnerable," a boy said under my eating place. "Nah, that guy was a monster, or if you prefer a demon," I told them before taking another bite of my apple. "Shut up! He's a hero! You don't know what you're talking about!" the boy shouted at me.

"Oh, really? Then why did the avatar and the others abandon him and call him a demon, a monster, and a villain?" I asked tossing my apple into the air then catching it. "Ah, what!" I shouted as I grabbed the already bitten parts. "My hand's going to be sticky now," I said in disappointment.

"Serves you right! You hate him, just to hate him, I'm not going to listen to anyone that hates on my hero!" the boy shouted causing me to stop pushing and pulling my sticky fingers apart. "A hero, eh? You really think so?" I asked as I rolled off of my rooftop. They saw me land with my fist on the ground along with a foot and a knee.

"Their blood is on my hands, not the avatar's," I said and I put my head down. "You think that I'm the hero? I'm a monster. I'm not like you, I won't ever be one of you. Now get on out of here!" I shouted as a dark aura surrounded me causing them to run. One of my eyes dripped a dark liquid.

"Huh, this hasn't happened for a while," I said knowing what this means. "I thought that I was working on my angelic side... oh, well," I said kicking back and going back to my apple that was now barbecued in my hand.

"I guess, I've unknowingly embraced my demon side. Yet, I don't really care," I said as I grabbed a handful of cash and wiped my face with it. I then stood up and opened a portal, fully prepared to fight. I walked inside coming face to face with a five-headed dragon. "Well, here goes nothing," I said not expecting the dragon to respond.

"I am the King of All Dragons! State your business!" The dragon roared out. "Oh, well... I want to practice my attacks on you, try not to die too quickly," I said as I jumped at him.

Present Day...

"Holy crap! Help! He's injured!" Korra shouted as I pushed myself up. "Oh, hey Avatar," I said before my face hit the ground again.

"What happened to you?" she asked concerned for me. "Ah fhaft ah dhragoon!" I said muffled into the pavement.

"Sorry, what was that?" Korra asked again. "I fought a dragon, okay?" I said embarrassed for myself. "It had five heads, claimed to be the king of all dragons. I may have said I'd use him for practice," as soon as I said that Korra smack the back of my head.

"You sure are stupid you know that?!" Korra shouted as I laughed. "There's the Korra I know, so what have you been doing this past month," I asked curiously.

"It's been six actually," Korra said causing me to laugh but soon realizing that she was serious when she wasn't laughing. "Are you serious? That dragon knocked me six months into the future and through a couple of dimensions, but oh well," I said in disbelief while keeping the last part to myself.

"So, about that day back then... that was harsh," Korra said and I put my finger to her mouth. "Shush, it's fine I get it. I'm a demon, a monster," I said and she grabbed my hand.

"Also part angel, don't forget that," she said causing me to laugh in a daze. "I wish, it turns out since we last spoke, I've become more attuned to my demon side," I said causing her to grow worried.

"So, should I be worried?" Korra asked ready for a fight. "Nah, he's just really bored, he'll either pick fights or just sit and eat," I told her and she gave a sad look.

"So, he's just a sad puppy?" she said jokingly. I expected her to get something in response, but now, there was nothing. I looked over and found two winged creatures dragging another winged figure away as well as a pit of fire as the dark figure was dragged down.

"Nevermind... I just lost both sides," I said as I fell to my knees with my head tilted to the side. "Yeah, it's just uh... I don't feel different... I thought that they were the ones making me the way I am. I was wrong, I know who I am without them. Yet, I'm only now finding that I need them."

"I'm not me, me, without them," I said as I began to formulate how to get them back. "They could have influenced me or taken over at any point. Yet, they trusted me as their host, I was stupid and arrogant. I thought myself physically untouchable," I said to her as I began to bash myself like a hammer to a nail.

"That's okay, you still have your firebending right?" Korra asked and I told her the truth. "I'm a non-bender, they were the ones that gave me their power," I told her and she began to sink to my level.

"Mako asked me out, to answer your earlier question as to what I've been doing," she said and I smiled. "Oh, that's good," I said with a wave of burning anger beginning to ignite.

"Yeah, he really thought that I'd say yes," Korra said with a laugh. "Oh I see, of course, you'd say yes... wait, you didn't?" I said with a hopeful look in my eyes. She laughed before kissing my cheek.

"What can I say? I kind of love my little demonic angel boy," she said and I laughed. "Am I your little DAB? That's right DAB on your haters," I said and she groaned in frustration.

"Cringe!" She said and I chuckled. "You love it," I said with a small smirk. "I forgot just how annoyingly cute you were," Korra said causing me to gasp sarcastically.

"You think I'm cute, hm?" I asked causing her to turn a shade of red. "Y-yeah," she said nervously because she saw my devious smirk. "You're so athletic under that sweatshirt, how come you never take it off?" she asked and it reminded me of an old memory I had.

Three Years Ago...

"So, why are we here?" I asked burning up inside of my sweatshirt. "We're here to work on your heat control, I want you to get so angry that the air feels cold," I started to let all of my rage out and a pillar of fire rose at my feet.

"Very good, how does the air feel now?" Tempest asked and I told him that it felt ice cold. He gave a nod and we left the surface of the sun. "Very good, now let's go to a place about thirty-five times hotter," Tempest said and I thought I knew what he was talking about.

Until we went onto the surface of a blue star, it was very difficult to make myself hotter than even this star. "Very good, Y/n, you're learning. Now let's take this up about five hundred times. He said before taking me straight to Hell and telling me to dive deep down for this one.

"I could barely get used to this heat when I had that same demon inside of me," he said before breaking a sweat. "We should go before the big guy here wants another fight," he said quickly wanting to take us out of there. My fire began to turn blue causing him to have a small smile.

"I definitely couldn't do that until later, come let's go home," Tempest told me with satisfaction.