Chapter 7

A cold breeze blew past through me as I felt my eyes closing. Just when I was about to fall asleep, it seems like I have gotten popular as I felt someone was coming from behind me. I didn’t bother opening my eyes, but instead I focused on the sound of footsteps coming closer.

The one who found me was surprised and stopped. I wanted the person to hurry up and leave but he seemed stuck in place as if he saw a ghost. I was getting sleepy, can’t this person just leave already?

Contrary to my wish, the footsteps which had stopped for a while came closer and closer until they stopped right beside me. I felt a stinging gaze looking down at me from above. It was so intense that my face started to tingle.

What a rude person.

It started to become a problem when I felt prickly all over from his glare. Since I have a strong desire to live, I gently opened my eyes to that murderous gaze.

“…”

“…”

Oh, it’s just the Prince.

Alright, time to brace myself.

When I met eyes with him, his eyes grew in astonishment. After my harmless joke yesterday and getting kicked out for it, I haven’t seen him in a while. So why was he staring at my sleeping face?

As I blinked with bewilderment, the Prince stood firmly as if he made up his mind and backed away. He gave me a wary look. Perhaps he seemed alert because he thought I would attack him.

I didn’t follow him, strictly speaking he’s the Prince of this nation. I understand why the Prince is so cautious with me, but when I get misunderstood this much I can’t help but feel unhappy. When I didn’t do anything like he thought I would, he carefully relaxed his guard.

… He was like a small animal.

I wonder what was going on in his head after seeing that reaction. This guy has a lot of doubts about me. I didn’t do anything to you.

He hesitated and muttered in a small voice, “…I thought you were dead.”

I heard wishes of death many times before. Maybe the Prince came by because of his desire to see me dead. 

‘I thought you were dead’ sounded more like ‘Who cares if you die right here?’

Unfortunately, I have no intention of satisfying his desire. I didn’t turn my gaze away from the Prince who looked at me with distrustful eyes and answered blankly, “I was only starving for a day… People don’t die from that…”

“Huh?… Ah.” After he recalled what happened the other day, he spit out, “What a joke.”

For a long moment, the Crown Prince frowned and then he carefully opened his mouth, “… I was doing something really useless.”

As he said that, his face seemed lighter. He really was worried about the possibility of me dying it seems.

“…”

However, after thinking about it for awhile, he pinched the bridge of his nose. Anyway, the Prince’s feelings were already made known. His distrust in me was not easy to break down.

Even if I was dying, I definitely wouldn’t be lying here as my final resting place. Anyway, now that the issue was settled I believed the Prince would soon leave so I closed my eyes again. But after a while, I didn’t hear him turn around. I looked back up in wonder and saw him looking down at me with his arms folded. He had an uncomfortable look on his face as if he was wearing something that didn’t fit him. I sighed internally. Why is he still here…