Chapter 10

What the knight said was unreasonable, but he still asked for my cooperation. “My master’s personality is a little eccentric. If you really don’t know who that child is , then hand them over. I will not go after you. Since you caught the child from running away, I’ll give you a reward when I return.”

“…”

The child lifted their trembling hand and tightly gripped on my cloak. They both seem to think that I would sell the child out. With a troubled look I addressed the knight. “I don’t need any money. I’m not interested in material things…”

“Then the child … “

“I prefer not to…”

“This is will be difficult. Then, I would have to forcibly take the child away.”

Our conversation kept going around in circles until the Baron lost his patience and came closer to us. The nobleman, who looked about 30 years-old, quickly said with a voice full of authority,

“What are you doing standing around here for?! Quickly bring my slave back to me!”

“A slave? What is this? Since when?”

“Since now!”

“If you mean now, are you referring to the carriage accident?”

“Yes! It recklessly blocked the path of my carriage and thanks to that my wagon was destroyed. I can not let it get away.”

“That’s… I’m sorry for that.”

I apologized offhandedly but I still kept the child behind my back. The Baron’s face was strangely distorted.

“Nevertheless, why should this child be punished? As far as I’m concerned, this child was hurt more than your carriage was damaged, can’t you just let go of the matter please?”

“It doesn’t matter what the reason is, if you can’t pay for the damages then you’re my slave!”

“By the way, you’re speaking really casually to me. Do you even know who I am?”

“Of course, you’re someone beneath me!”

Perhaps he concluded that I, who was walking on the streets in a cloak and no attendants, was another commoner.

I said in a surprised tone, “Really? Is it normal for low-ranked nobles to speak to those lower than them without any courtesy? Including me?”

“Of course!”

“Well I had no clue. Oops.”

I didn’t leave my home for long and I had to deal with something disgusting. As a result of their ignorance, you get people like the Baron. I sincerely apologize for the nobility’s sorry state.

Immediately after that the Baron started to look at me with a funny expression. It seems that he finally started to grasp onto something.

“Well what?”

“Are you saying you aren’t a commoner?

Why is he going on about it now? I told him I didn’t know.

I was acting with discourtesy until now and I corrected it…

I ignored the Baron, who stood there stupidly, and instead turned to his knight. “Then please charge the repairs to my family. Oh, my name is…”

“What are you doing? Are you trying to insult me now?”

“What?” I was going to give what the Baron wanted, why was he looking like he was going to explode?