The Interview

Madison

AFTER school, Ariana, Anne  and I parted ways. I sat in my van while Anne sat in hers. Ariana took the bus.

I took a seat beside Joey who was reading something.

"Watcha reading, Joe?"

He leaned towards me and whispered in my ear, "Its top secret super spy stuff. I have to eliminate the President, and I need your help."

I let out a sigh," Joey, I am not five."

"Its nothing. Kiyaan lent me some books, I'm reading one of them. The books are about some conspiracy theories."

"Oh, so your boyfriend gave you something to read? Are you sure it's not a love-letter?" I smirked.

"He is not-" A flushed Joey tried to reply but was interrupted by a lot of screaming from the kids who were sitting at the back.

"What is it?!" I asked.

"Henry just ate his eraser! " One of them replied excitedly. It was about the best thing he had ever seen.

"Oh no! Everything that's inside you is going to get erased now!" Joey scared them and I laughed. Throughout the whole journey through the van, everyone kept coming up with ways to un-erase Henry's insides. We had to tell the kids again and again that eating a pencil would not help.

***

I looked into the mirror. I was getting ready for the interview.

"Yeah, I don't look so bad... " I told myself just as my sister entered the room.

" What are you wearing?!" She howled with laughter. I stared at myself again. My jeans looked okay and my shirt was perfect, with its collars made.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"Lose that top, wear something else." She said. I thought about it but then decided that I won't be changing anything. I was going to be dressed as full-blown Madison In Formals.

"Mom, I'm leaving!" I said, grabbing the door. My mother came running and she looked upset.

"Mom, it'll be okay. And I promise I will keep visiting you. And I'm not even moving out right now, its just the interview." I told her.

"Madison, you have grown so much. I remember when you were little, you used to jump around the house, singing. I didn't know what you would become but now that I look at you, you have grown into this beautiful, young, confident lady who always believes. We are very proud."

Not knowing what to say, I muttered, "Thanks mom. Now its time for me to go wipe some tables."

She smiled as I left for the cafe. It was at walking distance so I didn't bother taking a bus. Soon enough, I was standing at the café's doorstep.

"Mortezze Café, here I come." I said, entering inside.

"Excuse me, I'm here for the job interview?" I asked a waitress.

"Um, yeah. Go straight and see that gallery? Go there. Hope you have fun at your new job!" She made it sound like a taunt.