I Get Another Invitation

Madison

Lex's house was way bigger than what I had expected. It was so big, I thought I'd be lost if I tried to navigate it myself. I could figure that Lex would have just felt more lonely and alone in this house and that's why he preferred to live at the hostel with many people who were around the same age as him.

Speaking of them, why in the world was Sofie here? I could tell she hadn't even informed Lex about coming here today, based on Lex's surprised reaction. Yet, here she was, with her perfect clothes, perfect hair and perfect little personality which would definitely be compared to mine by Lex's (Sofie) loving parents.

Sofie walked ahead of us as Lex and I entered the house. I was nervous, obviously. I'd heard so much about Mr and Mrs Holland, their cruel nature, their obsession with "perfect", and everything. I kept telling myself that it'll be fine, but honestly, I didn't agree with myself on that. 

"Nice house," I said.

"A house is not a home," Lex shrugged, "but yeah, I do think the interior designer did an amazing job."

Sofie first took us to a huge living room, which was quadruple the size of my living room. The whole place was dark blue and black themed, which, in all honesty, made the house look gorgeous. I guessed the Hollands knew something about gorgeous: they made Lex. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling, different types of lights illuminated the room. At the far right end, there was a door leading to a different room, and at the back of the room was a spiral staircase leading up. A huge fireplace was on the right wall along with many decorative pieces. 

"Beautiful, right? The garden at the back is even more beautiful. And you should definitely check out the home theatre someday," Sofie beamed, looking at me, "and of course, Mr and Mrs Holland are coming in a minute."

I felt odd. I'd always known that Sofie and Lex shared almost everything. But the pride Sofie had in her voice when speaking about the place rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was just me overthinking, but to me it felt like Sofie believed this house was hers. I get that she must have been very familiar with it, but praising the house so enthusiastically in front of Lex (for whom this place was almost like a fancy prison) seemed wrong. I glanced at Lex, who was almost expressionless. He seemed too used to everything, this place, Sofie always being here, people barely noticing how much he hated it here, always waiting for his parents, everything. I felt guilty for being so impressed with the place, and the more I thought about it, the more I started despising it. I felt strangely oppressed. I also felt responsible for making Lex come here because if it wasn't for me, he would have been having dinner at the hostel's mess.

"Why don't we sit down?" Lex said and sat down on the couch. I followed his example.

Just as Sofie sat down, a tall lady came down the stairs. Her tan skin had a hint of makeup and her light brown hair was perfectly curled, she was wearing a formal red dress and high heels. A part of me was wondering who wore heels at home, but the other part was impressed by her dedication to look good.

"Madison," Sofie whispered, "thats Mrs Holland," then she stood up. It looked a bit over-the-top to stand up in her welcome considering the things I'd heard about her, but this time, I followed Sofie's example. Lex didn't bother, which, weirdly enough, made me want to give him a kiss.

"Mrs Holland! This is Madison," Sofie said, excitedly. 

I put on my best fake smile and put forward my hand, "Good evening, Mrs Holland. Its great to be able to finally meet you."

Mrs Holland looked at my hand extended towards her for five seconds. Then she shook it, "its splendid meeting you too, Miss Schwimmer. I've heard so much about you."